Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Home Access Test Accuracy at 8 weeks
An_250797 posted:
Hello. How accurate is an 8 week negative on a Home Access test? (I believe that they are 2nd generation). Can most infections be picked up by this time even on older tests?Thank you.

georgiagail responded:
The recommended time period for testing after a potential exposure is 12 weeks with any screening test.

Keep in mind it's not the screening test itself that makes the difference but rather the time it takes for the immune system to produce antibodies to the virus once the body realizes the infection has taken place. Screening tests do not check for the actual presence of the virus but rather for these antibodies.

The estimated accuracy of screening tests such as the Home Access test at one month is 95 percent; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by screening tests by one month post transmission. By 3 months this has increased to 99.99 percent. The 8 week mark falls somewhere inbetween these two figures.

It is, therefore, HIGHLY unusual that someone would test nonreactive (i.e., negative) at 8 weeks and reactive (positive) at 12 weeks.

Gail

An_250797 replied to georgiagail's response:
Excellent, thank you! I was worried that since the test is technically 2nd generation, that it wouldn't be that accurate by this time. So, in your experience does the generation of the test matter (after 6-8 weeks)? I have read conflicting information. Some say it does, others say that the generation doesn't matter after 8 weeks as they all end up being comparable in accuracy by that time (as I'm sure you've heard). Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.