Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
9 weeks test negative accuracy?
anxietyextreme posted:
Hi
I am 18 years old male heterosexual . Almost 10 weeks ago i had a gay encounter with an older person. I performed oral sex on him and he pushed his penis against my anus but failed no penetration only frottage. After 4 weeks and 4 days i had sore throat which wss gone by anti biotics . I was healthy till i read about hiv ars symptoms i went into deep anxiety and depression i felt . I took a 6 week elisa 3rd gen inst answer results were negative. Meanwhile i was getting symptoms like nausea panic attacks in morning waking up ( probably stress) itchy skin acne like colorless or pink small bumps forehead ( which were there before but increased a lot .my mom whos a doctor says its due to my long hair which falls on my forehead) i noticed on small lump right side of my neck not visible but you can feel it by pressing ,its on the carotid artery i suppose .i had no fever. I took another test elisa 9 weeks negative. My questions are; 1-am i free yet are my test conclusive?w 2-is it true that if symptoms were ars then i would test positive after their onset? 3- can ars occur after a month and stay for a month and do the symptoms come all at once or can it come one by one? 4 can sore throat by ars be cured by anti biotics? does the inst answer same as insti elisa?
Ps these tests were taken in saudi arabia.
Thank you

georgiagail responded:
First things first...

1. Oral sex carries an EXTREMELY (and I do mean extremely!) low risk of HIV transmission. The statistics we use for unprotected oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be even less since you cannot confirm this persons status.

2. Frottage is not considered to be a risk for HIV transmission.

Now...the recommended time period for testing is 12 weeks, not 9. However, by 4 weeks post transmission, 95 percent of newly infected folks would have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 12 weeks 99.9 percent would test positive. Nine weeks falls somewhere inbetween. Thus, it would be HIGHLY unusual that someone would test negative at 9 weeks and positive at 12...especially in view of the "risk" you describe.

ARS occurs two to six weeks after the initial transmission, has symptoms that are described as "flu like" in nature and like the regular flu, lasts about two weeks. Symptoms would occur all at once, which, like the regular flu, often makes one feel like they've been run over by a Mack truck.

HIV is a virus, not a bacteria. The fact that your sore throat responded to an antibiotic would indicate that whatever caused this was a bacteria agent, not a viral one.

Your bumps on your forehead are not symptoms of HIV. The lump on your neck is one of your lymph nodes. Your nausea and panic attacks are due to stress, not HIV; as you yourself said, you felt fine until you began reading up about HIV symptoms. Stop doing that and you'll feel a whole lot better.

Gail

anxietyextreme replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the great reply. Would you recomend further tests and have u ever seen 9 weeks pos turning neg later?

georgiagail replied to anxietyextreme's response:
No, I haven't seen a 9 week test turn positive at 12 weeks.

Would I worry about what you have described as a risk? No.

The only reason to test at 12 weeks is if you are not convinced that the 9 week test result is accurate in terms of your status and you continue to stress over this event.

Gail

Your reply itself is very reassuring thank you again!

This would be last question.Do yo think at nine weeks generation of test is relavent? Because the testvis probably 3rd generation because the clinic had rapid resting too. But even if its 2nd generation would it matter.
Thanks

No, it would not matter.

Gail

Hello gail, i hope i m not posting excessively
I read these two contradicting statements online but i dont know which one is correct
1. Frottage does carry a risk of hiv because pre seminal fluid might enter the anus.
2. There is no risk of getting hiv from this because even if the head of the penis enters the anus opening a little, it has to enter the rectum which is inside.

Frottage is not considered a risk for HIV transmission.

Gail

Got my 80 days negative i will consider it conclusive thank you gail for your support

anxietyextreme replied to anxietyextreme's response:
Hello gail
Sorry to bother you again infact i myself hate coming here again and again.
A week before my exposure my inflammed gums by wisdom tooth had healed. I also had dental work done for it more than a week before expsore does that increase my risk from oral?
Also i have infection on the right side of my face right ear, right eye itchy a lymph node swollen right side of the throat i heard its a symptom of hiv is it?

"A week before my exposure my inflammed gums by wisdom tooth had healed. I also had dental work done for it more than a week before expsore does that increase my risk from oral?"

No

"Also i have infection on the right side of my face right ear, right eye itchy a lymph node swollen right side of the throat i heard its a symptom of hiv is it?"

No

Remember that 80 day test result which has proven you are HIV negative. Concentrate on that as opposed to "symptoms" that have nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.