Skip to content
accuracy of oraquick rapid
An_251303 posted:
Hi Gail, i had an oraquick done a couple of weeks ago because i was told by the state that someone reported my name as one they'd had sex with and they tested hiv positive. Test back negative. As most of the people on here, I'm feeling super paranoid! Especially since they recommended having the blood work done anyway just to be positive. Well, that was done on Tuesday and it's Friday and i haven't heard back from them. They said it would take about three days and that the longer it took, that it might mean that they were doing additional tests because something might have come up! Imagine the thoughts going through my head!! Is there any reason I could have gotten a false negative? Heard that you might get false results if you'd just brushed your teeth and so on. Please help. I need your advice here! Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
The only way one could get a "false negative" is if they test too early after a potential exposure.

For example, if someone tests just several days or a couple of weeks after transmission had taken place they may be infected but the immune system has not yet produced enough antibodies to be picked up by current testing methods to show a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result. This is highly unusual given the current testing methods that are being used today.

When did the sexual event take place versus you getting your Oraquick test?

Gail

anon_66ma replied to georgiagail's response:
The state says they are not allowed to say when or who. The last time i had any type of encounter with anyone was about six months ago. It's frustrating that they won't say because how am i supposed know who to stay away from?! Mind you, I've only had three partners in the last ten or more years so I'm not promiscuous but i still talk to these people and not one has mentioned anything of the sort! And honestly,I'm afraid to ask. Thanks for your quick response.

georgiagail replied to anon_66ma's response:
Since your last possible exposure was six months ago, any test done recently would certainly be accurate in terms of your status.

In other words, there is no reason to doubt the accuracy of your Oraquick test results.

Gail

anon_66ma replied to georgiagail's response:
I don't doubt that you're right. It's just the waiting that's really hard! Hopefully I'll hear something soon. Thanks for providing this forum and for all your great advice. This made me feel so much better. This experience has been surreal and it's nice to know it it's normal to feel this way and my reaction isn't as crazy as i thought it was! I'll keep you posted.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.