Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OraQuick test results
An_251497 posted:
I had a risk event back in July of 2012 and have been so nervous of HIV. I never really experienced symptoms except there was a day where i got sick later at night and I threw up, had a small fever, chills, and muscle aches. It was gone the next day and I never thought of it to be hiv, so I wasn't paying attention to how long ago my risk was or anything. So now I look back and think that could have been my flu like symptoms? Just a couple of weeks ago I started getting joint pain and headaches everyday, and now I have a dry cough, mostly in the morning. So I went and bought the OraQuick at home test on april 5, 2013, so it's been longer than six months and I tested negative. Am i able to rely on that test? Just a little side info, I have been experiencing IBS like pains whenever i have to go #2 and I don't know if that could be a sign or not.

georgiagail responded:
Testing beats symptoms every time.

Your OraQuick test results have clearly shown you are HIV negative. Rely on these test results as opposed to what you might be assuming (but aren't) are symptoms associated with HIV.

The first stage of HIV (called ARS) occurs two to six weeks after transmission, involves flu like symptoms and lasts about two weeks, not one night. Then, there are NO symptoms whatsoever for many years (up to a decade in an untreated individual).

Thus, the dry cough and headaches have nothing to do with HIV (and probably have more to do with pollen and spring allergies). and the IBS symptoms when you have a bowel movement are likely due to, well, IBS.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.