Skip to content
Needle prick
Anon_41414 posted:
I am heterosexual and engage in monogamous, unprotected sex with my partner and we've both been tested. I'm worried bc she stepped on a needle or pin last weekend barefoot at a hotel room. I'm not worried at all that she caught HIV but I'm worried about Hep C which I hear can live outside the body in dry blood for days. Should this be a concern? According to what I've read, it seems that Hep C could be passed along this way but if that's the case, wouldn't a lot more ppl be infected? Is everything I've been reading about Hep C wrong? Please help, I'm getting anxiety over this!!

georgiagail responded:
What type of needle or pin are we talking about here? I'd suspect this was simply a straight pin from a piece of clothing in which case there would be no reason for this to contain any blood in the first place.

More details please....

Gail

Anon_41414 replied to georgiagail's response:
It was a straight pin. I'm just worried about Hep C transmission in the event someone else poked themselves or stepped on it as well. Can Hep C be spread this easy? I know it survives well outside the body but how much of the virus needs to be present for transmission? Any help?

georgiagail replied to Anon_41414's response:
Let's be realistic here. How likely is it going to be that another person who just happened to be hepatitis C positive also stepped on the pin or poked themselves and left some blood on it before your partner stepped on the pin themselves.

Not hardly.

Hepatitis C is typically spread from sharing of IV drug needles, not from stepping on straight pins.

If your partner remains concerned, they can always get tested (like HIV, at the 90 day mark) but really, there is no risk here.

Gail

Anon_41414 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. I know that the odds aren't in favor of that happening. But I'm just concerned now regarding other instances. Is Hep C that easy to catch? Assuming a person with HEP C cuts themselves with a pon or any random sharp object. Does that mean that the object can now infect other people? I still feel a bit of concern about this latest incident but don't want to scare my partner if I'm being over paranoid. I feel some reports I read about Hep C transmissions at be over the top bc so many ppl play contact sports, get into dust fights (especially kids), and thousands of accidents like the one that happened at my hotel take place everyday. Is Hep C just not something to worry about? Just need some peace of mind.

georgiagail replied to Anon_41414's response:
Yes, Hepatitis C is not something to worry about in this scenario.

We have a number of patients in our medical facility that we see for Hepatitis C. Not a one of them became infected from the casual contact that you describe. Their infectious route came from sharing of IV drug needles with others who carried this virus.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.