Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Made a mistake
An_251529 posted:
49 days ago I had unprotected oral sex with a stripper. I thought nothing of it as I thought there was no risk of HIV. I had other issues and was tested for all stds and all were negative and since all symptoms are gone. i would have still thought nothing of it but surfed the web and found there is a small chance. I have now had a sore throat and neck hurts for a little over a week and anxiety is literally killing me.

When symptoms start does it make sense that I would only get a sore throat or would there be many. I have not been nocious, no vomiting, no rash, no headaches and no fever to speak of. Some muscles are a little sore.

Am I making too much of this and should I get tested.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex (both giving and receiving) carries an extremely small risk of HIV transmission.

The statistics we use for unprotected oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source known to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm this persons status.

If you remain concerned over this very, very small risk then consider getting tested at the 90 day mark to rule HIV out.

Gail

An_251529 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. What about my sore throat and sore neck. Do single symptoms happen like this or would you more than likely have many symptoms. From your opinion do my symptoms sound like a concern.

georgiagail replied to An_251529's response:
I am sorry but we do not attempt to diagnose HIV from symptoms, only from risk.

This is because the symptoms of early onset HIV (which tend to occur two to six weeks after transmission) are only described as "flu like" in nature.

In your case, your RISK (not your symptoms) do not sound like a concern at all.

Gail

Oliver26 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail,

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.