Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Seroconversion questions
An_250891 posted:
Hi everyone, I made a mistake awhile ago and have done an EIA twice. One 9 months after and one about 15 months after. The tests are said to be very accurate at picking up any HIV antibodies.
Doing some reading online out of the 70 million or so people that have been infected only like 30 or so documented people never produced detectable antibodies after the window period. (Because of how widespread HIV is this number is probably a lot higher, not every case is documented or discovered) I'm pretty sure all were rapid progressors and like half died at around the year mark.
http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/Fulltext/2010/06190/Seronegative_HIV_1_infection__a_review_of_the.2.aspx

I tried to find more information on AIDS and antibody production but it got very scientific and confusing. Does anyone know, for certain, if you have AIDS do you still have detectable amounts of antibodies to EIA tests and other antibody tests? (Maybe reply with a link please?)
The majority of information on the internet talks about waiting 3 months to get a conclusive antibody test. I tested 6 and 12 months after the window period.(My fear: I seroreverted or never seroconverted)
I've shown almost all HIV symptoms and am worried. I'm worrying a lot less than I was but still have concerns. I fear that maybe I'll never seroconvert or I've seroreverted due to AIDS.
I'm thinking about maybe getting a PCR test or another test that looks for the virus not the antibodies just to put my mind at ease.
One thing is certain, I do not feel healthy and well physically.
Thanks if you guys can help.

georgiagail responded:
Patients with End Stage AIDS will often not be able to produce antibodies since, at that point, their immune system is unable to produce antibodies to any infectious agent.

This does not occur 6 to 12 months after transmission but rather at least a decade or longer in an untreated individual. It takes this period of time for the immune system to be significantly impacted by the virus.

At that stage in the disease the patient is also exhibiting very significant immune compromised symptoms that typically include impressive weight loss, profound weakness, coughing, diarrhea, oral thrush and recurring bouts of a specific type of pneumonia.

These all tie into the fact that the immune system cannot produce any antibodies to any insult to the body from the damage done by the virus. However, keep in mind that the immune system IS one tough cookie and this stage would NOT be reached 6 to 12 months into the disease process in an individual who was healthy prior to transmission.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.