Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need some answers and advice
anthonyg615 posted:
Good morning. I need some major help and answers so that I can go on with my life. I am a 32 year old male married and have been with the same women for 9 years. Prior to my wife I had only a couple of partners. I did have a protected encounter with a csw and do not recall the condom breaking. For some reason I have stuck in my head that I have had hiv for 9 years. My wife knows my fear and anxiety and thinks I am crazy. I have been healthy all of these years and when I do get sick it is only for a day or two. Also my wife and I have never practiced safe sex and have just had a child in nov of 2012. She was tested in 2010 during her first pregnancy and it was negative and then tested again 3 times during this pregnancy also negative. We did cord banking and they test for ID and all negative. I have had regular blood tests and all of my levels are normal. My doctor tells me that if I had hiv for 9 years and was not being treated I would be sick, my wife would have had it, and my blood counts would be off. Is this true? Also my last cbc I took the results and calculated my cd4 counts and confirmed through the doctors on the body.com that my calculation would in general be close. That number is 833. I read in many places that after infection cd4 stabilises at around 500-600 and then goes down each year. So given all of the factors above what are the chances I could have hiv for this long and not know it somehow some way by now. Please help me.

georgiagail responded:
Listen to what your physician and your wife has told you.

You are HIV negative.

If you still can't believe them, take a simple ELISA screening test. You can get the results from some of these tests in 20 minutes.

If you still can't believe the test result, consider some counseling to help you get over the fear of a disease you don't have.

Gail

anthonyg615 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks gail. But for my own craziness please tell me why you say I am negative. Is it because my cd4 is 833 and 9 years later that would not be possible. I know it is not dianostic but wanted to ask you why you say I am hiv negative

georgiagail replied to anthonyg615's response:
Because if you had become positive 9 years ago you would likely be entering the last stage of the disease by now (AIDS) and would be experiencing some very significant symptoms associated with this stage, including a significant decrease in your CD4 count, severe weight loss, nausea, vomiting, night sweats, fever, chills, diarrhea, extreme fatigue and a whole host of opportunistic infections. Such symptoms would be impossible to miss.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.