Skip to content
Risk of infection?
RMLF1324 posted:
Hi,

So while cleaning up after a party last week, I slipped and broke a half-empty beer bottle used by someone else(who I didn't know that well) that I was holding. I deeply cut myself on the hand with a (wet)shard while (foolishly)trying to pick up the pieces. I also smeared some blood on the wall as I supported myself up. Is there a chance that I may be infected with diseases such as HIV since there was probably saliva on that shard, or am I paranoid?

georgiagail responded:
No, you are being paranoid.

Even IF the person drinking the beer was HIV positive AND the shard happened to contain their saliva, saliva in a positive person does not contain the virus.

I'm curious as to why you believe a shard of glass from a half filled broken beer bottle would contain saliva in the first place? It would be wet from the leftover beer.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.