Skip to content
Reliability of oraquick test
An_251994 posted:
Hi, I took an OraQuick test at home in April. The test came back negative, but I am worried the results aren't accurate. I misread one part of the directions and I drank iced tea about 15 minutes before taking the test. It says not to eat or drink a half hour before you take the test. Are my results conclusive? I have had some swollen lymph nodes in my neck off and on, and have been having a little bit of pain in my underarm and groin area. This is worrying me.

georgiagail responded:
If you believe your drinking this ice tea 15 minutes prior to testing may have skewed the results, take a second test.

Gail

liz_c24 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the response. Do you think that it could have skewed the results, or is it unlikely?

Also, do the swollen lymph nodes mean HIV.

georgiagail replied to liz_c24's response:
Haven't a clue but the directions do say no eating or drinking for 30 minutes prior to taking the test.

No, swollen lymph nodes do not automatically mean HIV. We don't diagnose HIV by symptoms, only by test results and the concern here is that there's no way for an internet group to determine whether you drinking ice tea 15 minutes before the test would have any effect on the accuracy of the results (actually I doubt that it does).

What's your risk in the first place that made you concerned you might be HIV positive?

Gail

An_251994 replied to georgiagail's response:
I had unprotected sex with a man whos staus i am unaware of in September. One the swollen lymph nodes started HIV became a concern of mine.

georgiagail replied to An_251994's response:
Lymph nodes become swollen with any type of illness, including a cold or the flu. They are also located near the surface of the skin in the neck and armpit area so they are easily felt and many believe them to to be swollen because of this. Checking them frequently to see if they ARE swollen can make them a bit tender which sometimes leads to a worry that they are swollen because of illness instead of because of being poked.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.