Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Really concerned after unprotected oral sex
tsmith12790 posted:
First,

Thank you to everyone in this community. It's nice to be able to come here and read all the information.
Basically, on two seperate occasions, I was given oral by a man who I later found out is HIV positive. It's been about two weeks since teh last encounter and I am concerned that I may be infected.

I did have what I would call a stuffy nose for a couple of days, but other than that, no major symptoms as of yet. Should I get tested? What are the risks? Thanks for any responses.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex carries an extremely small risk of HIV transmission.

The estimated risk from unprotected oral sex (both giving and receiving) is .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source known to carry the virus.

If you remain concerned over this very small risk the recommended time for testing is 90 days after the last encounter.

Gail

tsmith12790 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

Thanks for your quick reply. I read over the years that it's the smallest risk to contract the disease, but am still concerned. I've opted for that option rather than anything else.

I didn't notice any blood from him or me. Not cuts on my end and nothing I could see from him.

As I said, stuffy nose for a couple of says and a bit of nausea the past couple of days, but that's about it.

It's possible to worry yourself so much you get symptoms correct?

thank you again Gail and this board for your advice.

georgiagail replied to tsmith12790's response:
If you look over some of the previous postings from those absolutely convinced they are now HIV positive (and later found not to be), you will see that you are quite correct that excessive worry will often cause every "symptom" to confirm one "must" be positive.

In a sense it would be a little easier if HIV symptoms included something really dramatic...like a nose that turned green for example. But a stuffy nose and a bit of nausea can be attributed to a ton a different reasons, including lack of sleep over worrying about a certain disease.

Gail

tsmith12790 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

You are so right and I would like to say I know you get a lot of the same type of questions. I've looked over the board for a while now and you always answer in a courteous and professional way and I am sure I speak for the board when I say we can't thank you enough!

You are right, I swore I saw rashes last night and woke up this morning with nothing. You realize that you may have done something very stupid and you start to look over your entire sexual history and let's be honest, we all haven't used protection when we should have. It makes you even more concerned.

so for now, I'll just try and relax, wait until the 90 day mark and take a test. Fingers crossed it is negative.

Thank you again Gail and have a great holiday weekend!

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.