Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A Paranoid here
An_252048 posted:
Recently I discovered both sides of my neck have different size, but it doesnt show any signs of enlargement of my lymph nodes. I just wonder how long does it take for lymph node to enlarge if I am infected?

georgiagail responded:
We don't diagnose HIV by enlarged lymph nodes.

Gail

An_252048 replied to georgiagail's response:
but two weeks ago I had unprotected sex..

georgiagail replied to An_252048's response:
Well then, get tested at the appropriate time. Again, we cannot diagnose HIV by symptoms and thus we don't even try but simply encourage HIV screening tests.

Gil

An_252048 replied to georgiagail's response:
If i undergo HIV screening after a period of one month, how much is the percentage for the test to be accurate?

georgiagail replied to An_252048's response:
The estimate is that 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies by one month post transmission to test positive if tested by then.

In other words, if you do your screening test one month after a potential exposure, the results would be 95 percent accurate as to your status regarding HIV.

Many feel they can't wait the 90 days to test and will do this test at one month, then repeat it at 3 months to confirm.

Gail

Reed123 replied to georgiagail's response:
Okay!Thanks a lot for your information. So I have another two weeks to go..

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.