semen in eye
lornadunne29 posted:
someone ejaculated into my eye a couple of days ago.....I washed it out right away but I am concerned. If they are HIV positivie( I don't know) then what are the chances I could be infected? My eyes were red and bloodshot afterwards. please only professional answers please. I heard one expert say nothing to worry about....others say I should worry.

georgiagail responded:
The theory on all this is that the eye is a mucous membrane and as such the virus could enter the body though this membrane.

In reality we've never had a patient became infected through this method.

However, if you remain concerned, ask them to get tested. If they do not carry the virus, they, of course, are at no risk of infecting you.

Gail

lornadunne29 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for your reply. Are you a medical professional? My stress is through the roof, this was anonymous so I cant get the other person to test. Would I need some type of cut in my eye? Is it never reported because it just doesn't happen that often or because people who tend to get it are engaged in much riskier behaviors and therefore its just assumed? Im sorry to be such a pain, Im just freaking out. I plan to get the HIV DNA or RNA test as soon as I can, but hear conflicting reports as to when that is reliable. Or the orasure test.

georgiagail replied to lornadunne29's response:
The attached article gives an excellent review of the various tests available, including those used in earlier testing than the OraSure tests (which checks for antibodies and requires a 90 day wait).

http://www.avert.org/hivtesting.htm

Gail

thanks...but based on the scenario....you don't think there is much of a reason to be concerned? Are you in the healthcare field?

No, I do not believe there is much concern here. And yes, I am in the healthcare field.

Gail

Sorry to bother you again....If I had this interaction 5 days ago....and I have been diaretic for the last 3 or 4 days....is it possible the two are related? Is diarreah associated with hiv infection? I plan on getting tested but I have to wait...and Im really scared. Thanks

lornadunne29 replied to lornadunne29's response:
sorry I was off, it was 7 days ago...and for about 5 days I have had diarreah

No, the diarrhea is not connected with HIV.

I suspect the fact you are "really scared" is the reason you are having the diarrhea. If you'll scroll back through some of the previous postings from folks worried that they may be infected we see lots of symptoms of headaches, fatigue, stomach pains, diarrhea, inability to sleep....all from stress.

The problem is, with each new "symptom" (and each new search on the Internet) folks can become more and more convinced that they MUST be positive so they worry more and more and sleep less and bingo, these "symptoms" get worse. It's a vicious cycle.

Here's the thing to keep in mind. ARS (the first stage of HIV) occurs 2 to 6 weeks after transmission. Not 2 days after an event (you indicate you've had the diarrhea for five days and the semen in the eye seven days ago). In fact, the diarrhea started just about the time you first posted to WebMD which tells us that you had already begun worrying that this event might have left you infected. See the connection here?

Try to stay calm and keep this in mind:

1. The risk from getting semen in the eye is so small we don't even have an estimated statistical risk to provide you regarding this.

2. It's far too early in the game for you to show ANY symptoms of HIV

3. Looking back on EVERYONE who has posted here previously convinced they are positive and gone on to get tested...and in those who have reported back their results.....ALL have come up negative in terms of being infected with HIV.

Gail

Thank you for your help.

Do the symptoms I described fit anything else? such as gonnoreah or syphilis or hepatitis, chlamidya? etc.?

No; none of these diseases have the symptom of diarrhea two days after transmission.

Gail

Are any of the common STD's possible/likely with the activity? Do I need to test for them too?

Nope....

Gail