Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick reliability
concerned123 posted:
Hello Gail,

I had a possible exposure on or about February the 18th of this year.

Since then anxiety has gotten a hold of me even though I am usually a rational person.
I've tested every week post exposure...i.e 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 weeks all with the Oraquick home swab test .
I am aware that I could have easily gotten a false Positive as they are quite common. I did not. Every single test came back negative and I followed the instructions to a tee.
I would greatly appreciate if in your opinion and experience the home test is reliable and conclusive , or should I get a lab based blood test?
Thank you in advance

georgiagail responded:
Wow...that's a lot of testing!

A test that is done at least 90 days (12 weeks) after a potential exposure is considered to be both conclusive and definitive in terms of ones status.

The OraQuick Home HIV test kit is designed to be easy to use and "fool proof" (sometimes folks worry that they do not get the sample correctly). But you followed the instructions quite accurately and the results have shown your true status: HIV negative.

There is no need for further testing unless by doing so, you can finally put your concerns to rest. But this would be more for mental health reasons that for anything else. Your testing has clearly shown your negative status.

Gail

concerned123 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail,

I've read a lot of your responses to other posters and I value your opinion.

I've come to learn that oral tests may take a bit longer than blood tests to detect antibodies but after 8 weeks or more they are just as accurate as a lab test.

The higher rate of false tests can be attributed to user error as you have stated and I realize that amongst the "general" population some folks may have reading comprehension issues, mental issues or are just plainly not too bright.
I mean, the insert in the OraQuick even tells people NOT to drink the fluid!!!
The window period of three months is highlighted in capital letters!
Even a pencil is provided to mark the start time of the test....talk about "idiot" proof!

To my understanding the oral fluids test has been used since 2004 and the newly released home version is essentially the same .

I just needed some additional reassurance and again I would like to thank you.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.