Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chances of HIV- please help
Sammy456 posted:
Hi, can you please evaluate my chances of getting HIV

I had sex with a girl I met at the club, she put a condom on me and forced to have sex but I got soft in 20 sec and took it out, condom was still on. I did unprotected oral on her for couple of min, she did'nt ejaculate in my mouth but not quiet sure about the precum. She did unprotected oral on me but I didn't ejaculate in her mouth.

I got fever and became extremely tired and dizzy the next day and got scared about HIV- I took a HIV RNA test on the 6 th day and the result was non reactive.

What are my chances of getting HIV in a brief oral exposure and also will the symptoms show up next day. Can I consider the 6 th day RNA test as conclusive. Please help....

georgiagail responded:
Unprotected oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission (and I do mean extremely low).

We use the statistics of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Your symptoms of having a fever and being tired and dizzy the day after the event are not connected with HIV. Early onset symptoms of HIV begin two to six weeks after transmission, not the day after a sexual event.

Gail

Sammy456 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you very much for the response Gail, is my 6th day RNA test completely usesless?

can you please explain how accurate is the RNA test after 15 days

georgiagail replied to Sammy456's response:
Doesn't particularly matter regarding the success rate of your RNA test.

Your risk of HIV transmission from this event simply wasn't there in the first place.

Gail

Today is my 12th day and I had dry cough and night sweats yesterday night and very stressed out. Everything seems like an HIV symptom to me.

I thing am getting very paranoid as the days pass

We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms because it is impossible to do so.

Only by risk (which really wasn't there for you) and by test results (which has clearly shown a nonreactive, or negative result for you).

Yes, you are getting paranoid and will likely continue to do so as the days pass, especially if you continue to read up about symptoms on the internet and convince yourself that this non-event has left you infected. This fear has convinced many who post on this list that they must be infected, even when testing has clearly shown the opposite.

Gail

Thanks Gail, will try to calm down...

Hi Gail, I know I said I will try to be calm but couldn't.

I took a RNA Qualitative test again on the17th day and my result was non reactive- can I consider this 100% accurate.

Sorry for asking again and again.

Yes, you can consider this test result 100 percent accurate in terms of your HIV status.

Congratulations!

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.