Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Had unsafe experience - PEP required?
chicago1980 posted:
I'm a gay male and I had unsafe penetrative anal sex (me being the top) with a friend of mine and his boyfriend. They both told me they are negative, but wondered if I should still consider getting PEP. The incident was about 30 hours ago.

Thanks.

georgiagail responded:
PEP can be quite rough on the GI tract. Do you believe what your friend and his boyfriend told you regarding their status? Are they willing to get tested with rapid testing results?

Gail

chicago1980 replied to georgiagail's response:
I do trust them and they told me they rarely do unsafe anyway. So I'm going to go with that, and test at the appropriate time. Also I believe being the top is less risky than being the bottom correct?

georgiagail replied to chicago1980's response:
Yes; being the insertive partner is less risky as one would be in less contact with a partners sexual fluids.

To use an example...the statistic we use for extimated per-act risk by exposure route for unprotected insertive (i.e., being the top) anal intercourse with a partner KNOWN to carry the virus is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures.

For unprotected receptive anal intercourse (again with a partner KNOWN to carry the virus) the estimated risk increases to 50 per 10,000 exposures.

Gail

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.