Skip to content
100% condum safety
Anon_33802 posted:
had sex with a sex worker and used a condum. i understand that a condum is not 100% safe, even if used properly. 3 weeks later i have afternoon light fever and slight sore throat. can someone answer the question re: condums and this risk. thank you
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
Assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear during the intercourse, yes; it is quite effective at protecting you against HIV.

Even assuming the sex worker was infected with this virus and that her vaginal fluids contained HIV, the virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

Gail

stresstime replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

thanks. I have heard that even if used properly and does not break that it cannot be deemed 100% effective. do you have an opinion on that/

thanks again.

stresstime replied to stresstime's response:
Gail,

Also just to add fuel to my anxiety I have developed a low grade fever, flushing and occasional sore throat. all within 3 weeks of my encounter

georgiagail replied to stresstime's response:
We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms; that is impossible. We can only estimate risk by exposure. Since it sounds as if your condom was used accurately and did not break or tear, you could not have been exposed to the virus even if this sex worker was positive.

What you heard in regards to the stories that if a condom is used properly and does not break that it is still not 100 percent effective against HIV transmission is incorrect. Again, the virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

Gail

Gail,

thanks for your response. Anxiety is a horrible thing especially since it is self induced. your answer has certainly helped in my getting over these thoughts. you guys do great work and just wonder if you realize how many hundreds if not thousands of people you help.

thanks again.

one other question. I also performed oral sex on the sex worker. forgot to mention that. It has now been 11 days with varies symptoms. they go away during the day and come back in the evening. began 18 days after the incident and have continued intermittently for the last 11 days. I have even had one episode of night sweats. I respect you and the good doctor. you have helped me before and hope you will reach out one more time. thanks

Whatever symptoms you are experiencing have nothing to do with HIV.

FIrst, oral sex carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. Think along the lines of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Second, symptoms do not come and go. They are described as flu like in nature, begin two to six weeks after exposure, last about 2 weeks and occur continuously during that time period, They would not fluctuate.

Gail

thanks for your reply. you guys are experts and so patient. don't know how you continue to provide information and the rest of think that for some reason we are different and may be the only case in history. Like could I be the .5 out of 10,000 to be infected by oral sex. I hope I can get over the anxiety, but probably wont until I get tested. I guess I have to wait 3 months to test for it to be accurate?

Many who have HIV anxiety find they cannot wait the 3 months for testing and will do this several times.

HIV screening tests do not check for the presence of the actual virus but rather for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place.

By about one month post exposure up to 95 percent of newly infected individuals will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months this level has increased to 99.9 percent.

Thus, those who are very anxious over their status will often undergo testing at one month, then repeat the test at 3 months to confirm the negative status.

Here is what I suspect may be fueling as least some of your anxiety...you went to a sex worker for your sexual experience. That in itself carries a connotation (perhaps inaccurately; many sex workers are far more aware of the risk of STD's than other individuals) that they must be dirty and infected with HIV or other diseases. If the event had involved, say, a girlfriend, the anxiety over HIV may not be quite so great.

At any rate, if you remain concerned over this non-risk for oral sex and you do not wish to wait the 3 months for testing, you can consider one month testing followed by a second test at three months.

Gail

thanks

thanks again for your help. I have another question about the length of symptoms. I know you don't diagnose but just want some clarification of how symptoms manifest. on the 18th day after the incident I had a low grade fever followed over the next couple of weeks with intermittent low grade fever and swollen arm pits and stiff neck. today30 days after the incident I began to have nausea and vomiting. I also develop candidas in my groin ( I have had this before). So my question since the last two days I have felt the worst of any of the days since the 18 day is a worsening of possible symptoms or the actual start. thanks for your response

Again, we don't attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms, only by risk. Remember the extremely low risk I posted regarding oral sex.

Gail

stresstime responded:
the sex worker tested using an Oraquick test and tested negative. she tested 36 days after my encounter with her. I have read that 3 months is necessary for that test to be most accurate. I am not sure what her exposure if any was before my encounter. anyway my question is how reliable is the Oraquick test she took. Also if three months gets the most accuracy should I wait another 7 weeks to take a test or will the Oraquick test be accurate enough. thanks for your response

Yes; the recommended time period for testing is 3 months after a potential exposure.

What you need to address is did you have a potential exposure. Your condom use protected fully protected you. Look again at the statistics regarding HIV and oral sex; extremely (and I do mean extremely) small risk. Most would not even test from this very small risk.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Rashes from below
My biggest concern ever while having a girl in bed is hoping my rash doesn't show. At one point my own penis is cock blocking me by having ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.