Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HIV Testing under 17
An_252444 posted:
Hi,

I am 16 and I thought there was a possibility I was HIV+. I took an OraQuick test even though it says that you should only do so if you are 17 or older. It came back negative. I never had symptoms. I have been prone to outer ear infections since I was about 13. My generation can get them swimming or excessive use of headphones. I have a really bad one right now. I went to my doctor and they said they don't know the exact cause. I had a fever in that ear, but not a whole body fever. Had chills, but only at night. My point is, do you think that I could be positive and this ear infection is a manifestation of that? I took the OraQuick test about a month ago. Can you use OraQuick a few months shy of 17?

georgiagail responded:
Yes; even at age 16 your test results would certainly be quite accurate.

Unfortunately, ear infections are pretty common if you swim or use those headphones (I've had one simply from getting water in my ear from the shower....youch!). They are not a symptom of HIV by the way but they are real stinkers and hurt like the dickens!

At any rate, your test results were quite accurate from the OraQuick test, even though you were only 16 at the time when you took the test.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.