Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried and need advice
hope222 posted:
So I am a gay male and over the past month and a half I have had some oral fun. I have given oral to 4-5 guys and never swallowed but I am sure pre-ejaculation fluids were exchanged. No anal sex was done so its all unproctected oral.

I currently feel fatigued, get hot flashes, stomach aches, wake up middle of the night either cold or hot, minimal sweats but do sweat a bit more at night (but not soaked), little bit of sore throat.

I was tested in May and results were negative.

I fear that I am sick and have HIV..... its always a fear of mine and I just need feedback. Thoughts? am I over reacting?

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission.

The stats we use in terms of risk for unprotected oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Based on these extremely low stats, it's likely you're over reacting.

Gail

hope222 replied to georgiagail's response:
So I spoke with one of the guys this week and he is now experiencing tonsilitis and oral infection. I goggled it and its stats could be from HIV..... I swallowed his load... I am so scared now!! Please advise

georgiagail replied to hope222's response:
Tonsillitis and an oral infection are not symptoms of HIV.

You were provided the estimated risk from oral sex. If you remain concerned, get tested at the three month mark.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.