Skip to content
food
An_252569 posted:
Lately I've been paranoid. Especially when it comes to my older sibling whom I don't get along with. I ate a Popsicle today and lately my sister opens Popsicle and leaves them in the freezer (I guess she only likes certain flavors). I can't remember if the Popsicle I ate was already open. If it was and if she put HIV fluid on it will I contract the virus?

georgiagail responded:
Not in any shape, form or way. One does not become infected with HIV through food. In addition, HIV is an extremely delicate virus outside of the body. One can't go around planting HIV virus on frozen popsicles with any hope of infecting anyone this way.

Gail

nebraskalove replied to georgiagail's response:
Okay. It's just that I've read that if frozen that viruses can survive. So I thought it would be possible for the HIV virus to survive or be preserved in a freezer on food/Popsicle.

georgiagail replied to nebraskalove's response:
This is done in a research setting, very different than putting something in your home freezer.

In addition, just where do you believe your sibling would get HIV fluid to put on popsicles and why would they do this?

Finally, one could swallow a vat of HIV containing fluid and still not get infected with the virus. It has to enter the body through a cut, sore, wound, damaged mucous membranes for transmission (the reason that oral sex is considered to be extremely low risk for HIV transmission); simply swallowing a food or liquid that would contain the virus would not infect someone. The virus would simply be destroyed in the extremely acidic medium of the stomach.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.