Skip to content
So Stressed! Please any advice
An_252844 posted:
I have been married to my husband for 3 years. Last year we started trying to concieve. I started have a feeling that he was cheating 5 months ago, and became stressed and having anxiety (on top of that I was studying for the bar exam). 2 months ago he admitted to cheating with multiple women on his business trips. I kicked him out immediately. A few weeks later after spending the night in the ER with a sick friend, I came home with a sore throat and dry cough. I was prepared to have a cold because I get them often. I treated it with cough syrup and salt gargles. But the symptoms were gone by the next morning. I was relieved because I couldn't miss work and dismissed it. However, I started getting vaginal itch and discharge. I never had a yeast infection before this was scaring me. I bought cream and was expecting my period two days before but it didn't come. After 4 weeks no period I went to the doctors but the test was negative. A week later I got my period along with canker sores in my mouth. I had them a lot as a kid so no biggie I thought. But now my period is late again. My doctor said I should wait 2 more weeks to come in for the HIV test. But I am so scared. Does anyone know why I would have a miserable cough and sore throat for just one day if not HIV? I am so scared. My husband says he was tested and is clean but I don't trust a word he says. Help. I feel so alone and have no one to talk to. I can't sleep or think of anything else.

georgiagail responded:
There can be lots of reasons for a miserable cough and sore throat that have nothing to do with HIV; the most sensible one being because you just spent the night before with a sick friend in the ER.

The important thing to remember is that both the cough and the sore throat (as well as your missed menstrual period) have nothing to do with early stage HIV (which would be where you're at if recently infected).

Let me ask you why the two week wait for the HIV test?

Gail

masavle replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you. I am hoping this all just stress related once my divorce is final maybe I will be normal again. The nurse said the test will be more accurate if I wait 3 months.

georgiagail replied to masavle's response:
While the recommended time period for testing is 3 months (90 days), many cannot wait that long. Keep in mind that a test done 1 month after a potential exposure will be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods.

By 3 months this has increased to 99.9 percent accuracy.

If you cannot sleep or think of anything else for the next 2 weeks, consider purchasing the OraQuick home testing kit (it is FDA approved for home testing). Many pharmacies such as CVS carry this. At only 2 weeks prior to the 3 month mark, it would be HIGHLY unlikely to provide you with inaccurate information regarding your status. You can then do the follow up test with your physician at the 3 month mark.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.