Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OraQuick Home Hiv Test
An_252893 posted:
Hello,

I have been with my fiance[a> [a> [a> for almost 4 years. On the beginning[a> of our relationship he went and got tested for all STD's[a> [a> [a> including HIV. Everything was negative. Few month ago I[a> started freaking[a> out because I never got tested and I was scared more about HIV then anything else. So I got OraQuick[a> [a> [a> test and followed directions and test came back negative. I was so nervous[a> [a> waiting for the results that I moved the test away from me. I never lifted it but I moved it slowly. Now I am scared because I don't[a> [a> know if my results were accurate[a> [a> [a> or not. Is it safe to say I[a> am HIV negative?

Thank You

georgiagail responded:
Yes, it is quite safe to say these test results were accurate and you are HIV negative.

Gail

August09 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so much Gail for quick responds. I was very scared that test was invalid since I moved it while I was waiting for results.

georgiagail replied to August09's response:
No; the test is designed to be both easy to use and pretty darn fool proof. You can trust the test results you received from it.

Gail

Mcculja replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail,

I've taken the Oraquick test 7 times since my possible exposure in January. I just came up to my 6 month period and have only seen negative results each time. Please help me from spending another $40.

georgiagail replied to Mcculja's response:
STOP SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY ON HIV TESTS!!!

?Does that help?

Look; any test done at least 3 months after a possible exposure is considered to be both definitive and conclusive in terms of accuracy in 99.99 percent of folks.

The only folks who MAY have to test out to six months are those whose immune systems have been terribly damaged by other serious medical issues; those who have recently undergone chemotherapy or those who have had an organ transplant and are on immune suppressing medications to prevent the transplanted organs from being attacked by their own immune system which would see this new organ as a foreign substance in the body.

If you don't fit into either category then your immune system is fully functional which means IF you were HIV positive all these tests would CLEARLY NOT be showing up as negative; i.e., you would be producing antibodies to the virus and the results would be reactive (i.e., positive) and not non-reactive (i.e., negative).

Thus, the only reason for these negative tests results is because you are not infected with this virus and are HIV free.

You can stop testing now; there is no need for further testing to check your status.

I hope this helps.

Gail

Mcculja replied to georgiagail's response:
I keep reading what you say about the going by the test and not the symptoms but it just gets tough sometimes. But I know you're right and I know you know what you're talking about. I know I have to stop. Thank you for your help.

georgiagail replied to Mcculja's response:
Sometimes folks need a bit of short term therapy to help them get over the worry about a disease they simply do not have.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.