Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HIV Infection Concern for Self and Wife
kilo812 posted:
I had an exposure to HIV infection on the 25th May with a CSW in Thailand and am very concerned. The risk involved: [br>[br>Oral sex and vaginal intercourse both with condoms. No kissing exchange of body fluids. [br>The condom appeared to be intact with no leakage/penis was never in contact directly with vagina. [br>As I had shaved I felt slight sensation on the base of my penis - worried if HIV transmission could take place from vaginal fluid onto hair follicles/shaved area. [br>To the best of my knowledge I have showed no symptoms. [br>Thinking I was ok I had unprotected sex after about 6 weeks of exposure with my wife - always ejaculating outside. My wife now has had fever for two days (stopped), severe fatigue, sore throat (cured after medication - two days), mouth ulcer due to a cut and as of today heavy PMS bleeding (very abnormal). [br>I am very concerned and preparing myself for a test, could you please help advise. This issue has made me realize that there are a lot of contradictions between experts (going by information on website).
[br>Appreciate your assistance on the matter as I am very worried. [br>[br>Kind Regards
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
HIV into hair follicles...no. These are not open (i.e., bleeding) wounds directly into your body from shaving (at least I hope they are not or that's some rough shave!).

Guilt from stepping out of your marriage and now worried about infecting the wife...yes.

Gail

kilo812 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail thanks, yes I am very guilty and concerned at my stupidity.

I do hope the hair follicles are/were not entry points. There was no visible blood and there was a 3 to 4 hour gap between shaving and CSW encounter.

I will watch self and symptoms closely over the next few days.

georgiagail replied to kilo812's response:
Again, the hair follicles were not OPEN, bleeding wounds. Even if someone cut themselves so they bled, in 3-4 hours the wound would certainly have sealed and would no longer be a portal into the body.

A direct portal into the body means exactly that. For example, sharing of IV drug needles where the blood of an infected person is directly injected into the body of the uninfected one. A tear or cut during rough anal intercourse through delicate rectal tissue where the sexual fluids of an infected individual (which would contain the virus) can enter the body of the uninfected one.

Not through hair follicles that were shaved 3 to 4 hours previously.

In addition, cannot diagnose HIV by symptoms. That is impossible. Many on this list have almost driven themselves crazy thinking every symptom they see means they must be positive. When they get tested, they are quite stunned (and hopefully relieved) to find they are actually HIV negative and their "symptoms" were part of their anxiety.

Gail

Gail, thanks very much. Your advise is much appreciated. I will steel myself for a test - it is taking a lot of courage though.

Best Regards

kilo812 replied to kilo812's response:
Hi Gail,
Can you advise on "Consistent use of condoms reduces the risk of getting or transmitting HIV by about 80%2." 2 Weller SC, Davis-Beaty K. Condom effectiveness in reducing heterosexual HIV transmission (Review). The Cochrane Collaboration. Wiley and Sons, 2011.
Does this mean HIV can be transmitted even with condom use.
Best Rgds

This is the actual article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11869658

Please note that this research did not determine if condom use was done accurately.

For example, there are folks who appear to lack the knowledge that condoms should be placed on the penis BEFORE entering the vagina (or anus) even for foreplay and only believe that condoms are to be used for "actual" intercourse.

In addition, LATEX condoms should be used. Other types (i.e., so called "natural" condoms) which are sometimes used because they provide "more stimulation" do not provide an effective barrier against the very tiny viruses such as HIV and HSV.

Gail

Gail,
Thanks for the prompt response - I would assume that the report is not correct/factual then.
Very worried that something is wrong - especially as I feel slight tightening in my throat.
I did use condom as explained but still put myself at risk and now my wife.
Very worried.
Rgds

No; the report itself mentioned that applicants who responded did not provide data on whether condoms were used accurately.

In your case, you used a condom; thus your slight throat tightening has nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

Hi Gail,
Thanks - this study is quoted by some of the best names.

Another question. Would HIV Sub Type E, be considered any different to other HIV sub types.
I understand 95% of heterosexual infections in Thailand are sub type E and it is much easier to transmit.
Would condom use still be effective.
Many thanks.
Best regards

Nope...condom use would provide an effective barrier against this subtype also.

Gail

Hi thanks again. Anxiety is killing me. Preparing myself for a test. This is hard.
Best Regards

kilo812 replied to kilo812's response:
Gail,

Please help.

My wife has had the following:
Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
Fever accompanied by sore throat for two/three days cured by medication
Sore in the mouth which she said was caused by a cut while eating (not sure)
Dizziness and vertigo for one week accompanied by extreme fatigue

I am dying from guilt of having exposed her. I have not had any symptoms and yet she is falling sick so often. I don't know what future holds for us if both become ve - we have a small kid.

Regards

None of these symptoms have anything to do with HIV.

For Pete's sake, you've been told (more than once!) that your sexual encounter with this sex worker was protected. A condom was used. It didn't tear. It didn't break. It was used properly. Even if this sex worker was HIV positive they could NOT have passed this virus onto you. No way. No how.

Again, you're dying from guilt from stepping out of your marriage. Perhaps it's time to come clean with your wife (if you haven't) and confess what you've done. Or at least seek outside counseling to get over the idea that your punishment for cheating is to infect your wife with a disease you don't have.

Gail

Gail Thanks,

A quick questions for you.

Just had my blood work test back. WBC seems to be ok but showing high protein in (ESR Test). Does HIV infection lead to protein build up in blood.

Scheduled my test on Wednesday so extremely worried and nervous.

Best Regards

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.