Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I can't stop thinking about HIV
Mcculja posted:
It's been 6 months and 5 days since my encounter and all my tests have come back negative but I can't stop testing. It's consumed my thoughts until I ended up on the hospital from Pericarditis, which can be caused from a viral infection like HIV. Every test I have to taken have been variations of the Oraquick mouth swab. What's the difference between this test and the ones that's use blood. Will the outcome still be the same...which has been negative every time. I'm trying to move on and not read the symptoms but just the test. I have a soar throat that came out of no where! I've read soo much into the symptoms that I feel like everyday symptoms are being exacerbated into something more. Is it possible for the antibodies to not be built up yet? I'm not on chemo or have any immune damaging diseases. Please help me. I'm tired of dreading this.

georgiagail responded:
Yes, the outcome of testing between the OraQuick and a sample using blood will be exactly the same.

Pericarditis has nothing to do with HIV.

If you cannot believe the test results and accept the good news that you are HIV negative (and some people cannot as they remain so frightened about a disease they do not have) then some short term counseling would be very beneficial to help you get over this anxiety.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.