Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
So quick question
Bball88 posted:
I had a tattoo done on my fingers by my friends brother. I am more than certain he used a clean needle.but I worry. I took a Oraquick at almost 3 weeks, 2.5 weeks or so. It came back negative and I heard most people produce the antibodies within the first 2 weeks and so on? Help!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
If you believe the needle was clean (i.e., not previously used) then there is nothing to worry about.

If you do not believe this and fear the needle may have contained the blood of an HIV infected individual the recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure.

Gail

Bball88 replied to georgiagail's response:
I heard it is very hard to get hiv from a tattoo needle? The needle looked clean and he's done tattoos for people I know and they are all fine.

Is the test I took valid at all? I heard it could be since most people produce the antibodies within the first 2-3 weeks

georgiagail replied to Bball88's response:
No, a 2-3 week test cannot be considere valid by any means.

Gail

Can I take a blood test earlier than 90 days?

Can I take oraquick earlier than 90 days?

Sure; you can take either or both tests earlier. Doesn't mean the results will be considered accurate though.

Again, the recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure.

These tests aren't cheap. If you remain concerned, why don't you just wait for the three month mark?

Gail

I went to an urgent care doctor because mine is out of town. I been having problems with my left side being heavy and it feels like no circulation is coming through, and my legs feel heavy and my head feels heavy.he told me that's signs of a full anxiety attack and nervousness. Which makes sense. I couldn't breathe the other day and I just over think these things through. He told me to relax because those are al coming back. My blood pressure was "ok"

Gave me steroid type medications. I feel a lot better now. But I will do my 30

Thank you for your help! I'm an over night manager so no sleep always doesn't help me either

Yes; it certainly does sound like an anxiety attack, brought on by lack of sleep and worry.

Let's look realistically at the chance that your friends brother used dirty needles during the tattoo. It's highly, highly unlikely isn't it. Folks who do this for a living (or even as a side job) are very aware of the risk of diseases that can be passed from customer to customer through dirty needles. They need to protect their customers AND themselves (we often forget that they put themselves at greater risk than their customers if they use dirty products because they are around these items all the time).

Have you sat down and talked with this person regarding your concerns?

Gail

He's been out of town for a while because he does carpeting jobs but his sister, brother, and 3 people I know have tattoos from him

His mom told me he uses sterile disposable once and she sounded serious about that. To be honest; I think I psychologically stuck It in my head cuz I'm crazy because I remember a friend asking me if he uses clean needles and I think that's where my heavy thinking came into place. And I honestly doubt he'd use dirty one and isn't it true that a needle exposed to any air with any type of disease die within a matter of minutes.

But can anxiety attacks really come. That fast? My ears, head, heavy legs, arms all that. I have medication which helped a lot thank god.

Bball88 replied to Bball88's response:
Ones** not once lol

Anxiety attacks can come on very, very quickly. That's what panic attacks are all about. I had one once in the middle of a grocery store many, many years ago, right amongst the cans of green beans.

Gail

Well I believe it all just came on to me at once, I work a stressful management job and i just moved into my own place,I don't eat the same way. I mainly eat food from work, which is fast food, my sleek schedule is non existent because I went to doing mainly over nights. So I guess that all may have striked an anxiety attack. It lasted a few days actually more than a few days. Physical pain and all that but I heard that's normal? I take medication for it and its helped a lot. I guess I was just stressing over someone putting it into my head cuz him and I. The gut who did my tattoo are good friends. And human brain can make us think a lot of crazy stuff if we let it. My pain was; Ear aches Heavy head feeling Heavy arms and legs Body feels heavy like I worked out a lot Tired Eyes heavy Randoms needle and tingling type feelings

I read all those are from anxiety and nervousness

I appreciate your time to talk to me. It's been amazing help! The medication I take is called methyIPREDNISolone

Bball88 replied to Bball88's response:
My update: it's been about 3 weeks. Well I wanna say a day or two short of 25 days since I got a tattoo. I went to planned parenthood where they did the test for me it came back negative. I heard that around 25 days is the usual to detect antibodies. Any suggestions?

Up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present by 25 days after transmission to test positive by screening tests.

Gail

It's safe to say I'm on a good path if I'm at 25 days give or take a few days with a negative test? I am sure this all is from stress and anxiety and overhanging something a friend put into my head

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.