Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A little concerned
Anon_169321 posted:
Hello. I have read that pneuomonia is common among HIV patients. I contracted pneumonia. My BF was pretty sick about a month before me and then I got pneumonia. It came on very suddenly from one day to the next. I've never had it before in my life. I have been in a monogamous relationship for a year. I also recently got a yeast infection (haven't had one in years) and I don't get those very often. We also have anal sex. Should I be concerned or am I being paranoid. Hoping Georgia can chime in since she is very knowledgeable.

georgiagail responded:
No, pneumonia is not particularly common among HIV patients.

As the disease progresses from HIV to the end stage of AIDS, a certain type of pneumonia can develop. However, just because someone gets pneumonia is no reason to worry they are HIV positive. Same thing with yeast infections which are depressingly common for women (I'm going to assume you are female).

In other words, you cannot assume HIV from symptoms or diseases. If you remain concerned that (perhaps) your boyfriend may be positive and, through anal intercourse, has passed the virus onto you the only way to know your true status is through testing.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.