Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
oral quick testing
An_253238 posted:
Hi,

I feel I've had all the symptoms. I took a test 11 weeks and one day, after unprotected sex. It was negative. I realize it was not the exact 3 months you are suppose to wait for. I'm having insane anxiety attacks 24 seven. Is there anyway that result can still be accurate? Thank you

georgiagail responded:
Of course your test results are accurate.

Yes; we say 90 days (12 weeks). But honestly, there would be no difference in a test result taken 11 weeks and 1 day and one taken at 12 weeks. One wouldn't suddenly change from negative to positive in that short a time period.

The fact you say you have "all the symptoms" leads me to believe that your symptoms are all from anxiety and what you've read on the internet that occur to folks who are infected (and untreated) for a long period of time.

Why?

Because except for a short term bout of flu like symptoms 2 to 6 weeks after transmission (which last about 2 weeks), HIV has NO symptoms for many years. It is not until the immune system has been severely damaged by the virus that one begins to exhibit opportunistic infections. On the average in an untreated individual this takes about a decade to develop, not 11 weeks and 1 day after a possible exposure.

Have you been reading about symptoms on the internet?

Gail

arsem replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for responding so quickly. I've been reading all about the symptoms, ect... I have been in constant anxiety. I just took another test today. Which will be exactly a week short of 3 months. Negative again. Do you think I'm okay or should I take another. I don't know who you are Gail, but you are heaven sent for being here for people.

georgiagail replied to arsem's response:
You are perfectly OK in terms of your status and no further testing is needed. You really ARE HIV negative. Honestly.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.