An_253243 posted:
I need someone to talk to?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
Why do you believe you have HIV?

Gail

1simpleplan replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail thank you for replying,

almost two months after my possible exposure I developed Meralgia Paresthetica in my thighs.

Almost two months after possible exposure I suddenly developed Merlagia Paresthetica in both thighs. I am not overweight which can cause this condition to occur. Also my armpits hurt all the time, and I have had a cold for 3 months. I have tested many times for and all tests have been negative so far. The last test I took was at 4 1/2 months. I also had an RNA test at 50 post exposure which was negative. I cant think, cant eat, just need the sic month mark to get here!

georgiagail replied to 1simpleplan's response:
Keep in mind that testing beats symptoms each and every time. Also keep in mind that any test done at least 3 months after a possible exposure is considered to be definitive and conclusive in 99.99 percent of folks.

The very, very small percentage who must wait for six month testing are those whose immune system has already been damaged by other serious medical issues.

This would include those who have recently undergone chemotherapy or those who have undergone an organ transplant and are on immune suppressing medication to prevent rejection of these new organs.

Do you fall into either of these categories? If not, your immune system is quite normal which means if you were infected, your test at 4.5 months would have come back as positive as you would certainly have been producing enough antibodies by then to be picked up by these tests.

At any rate, Meralgia Paresthetica has nothing to do with HIV.
Sounds like bad luck it popped up two months after a possible exposure. It could have been caused by an injury (or diabetes if you are diabetic):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meralgia-paresthetica/DS00914

Gail

An_253243 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

First and for most I appreciate your feedback! My doctor checked me for diabetes and they said I don't have it. My Neurologist thinks my MP is caused by tight jeans. Which is bizarre because I have been wearing the same jeans for years and this has never happened. But I bought new pants that are a little bigger, so hopefully it helps.

Now on to the window period.... This is the part of HIV testing that confuses me the most! Some say three months others say 6. I have called hotlines and the CDC and both have different answers. And when I tell them I had a RNA by PCR they say "oh that test doesn't mean anything". I am really confused!!!! When I asked the CDC about the small percent testing positive after three months due to having an immune disorder they said they don't know anything about that. Basically all they do is read right from their computer screen, what I have already read a million times. I have 46 days left until my six month mark. But cant cope with waiting.

I don't have any immune system problems. My neurologist has checked me for a lot of things and everything comes back negative.

Please help me!!!

georgiagail replied to An_253243's response:
Why don't you start by telling us the initial exposure risk.

You might be surprised at how low the statistical risk of transmission of HIV really is with various behaviors.

Gail

Unprotected sex with a man and I am a women. We were together several times for at least 3 months.

1simpleplan replied to 1simpleplan's response:
I would consider it a high risk.

The statistics we use here (and they are from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (CDC, NIH) "Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sex, Injection-Drug Use or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States"..whew) lists the following risks..

For unprotected receptive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse, the ESTIMATED per-act risk is 10 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

If the sexual contact happened to involve oral sex, the estimated risk is .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures, again with a source known to carry the virus.

If you do not know your partners status then the risk would be less.

Gail

So I have a good chance of not having HIV???

1simpleplan replied to 1simpleplan's response:
I have tested so many times, I'm just tired of testing!!!!! Where does it say three months is conclusive???? Because I tested at 50 days with a RNA test then again at 88 days with a blood antibody test, then an oraquick at 4 months, then another oraquick at 4.5 months.

No- I don't know his status. I had him take an oraquick in front of me, but he licked the stick with his tongue. Which makes the test inconclusive. But the test was negative.

Note to self....must buy stock in HIV testing kits!!!

Quite frankly, I'd tell you to stop testing but I doubt you're going to do that so all I'm going to say is stop worrying about this because frankly, you're HIV negative.

And since I suspect you'll need to "cover all bases" and do the final test at six months, this last screening test will have absolutely no different outcome than all of the others...negative test results.

Gail

georgiagail replied to georgiagail's response:
An easy to read article that covers many of the topics on HIV testing....

http://www.thebody.com/content/art2497.html?ic=4001#window

Gail

Helpful Tips

Rashes from below
My biggest concern ever while having a girl in bed is hoping my rash doesn't show. At one point my own penis is cock blocking me by having ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.