Skip to content
Negative HIV test after 8 weeks
Bradley2400 posted:
Hi all,

I had unprotected sex with a girl I didn't know about 8 weeks ago. 3 weeks after possible exposure I took an Oraquick Rapid test at a certified clinic. The result was negative. 7 weeks after possible exposure I again took an Oraquick Rapid test and the result was negative.

I then proceeded to take a Rapid finger pricking test at the 8 week mark and the result was also negative.

What are the chances that my test result changes to positive at the 3 month mark? Also what kind of people test positive later than 6 weeks?

Also, am I at risk if at the clinic where the finger prick test was done a little blood got on the finger the doctor had pricked after I had turned a doorknob? How long does HIV stay alive outside of the body exposed to air?

Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
While the recommended time period for testing is 12 weeks, it is HIGHLY unlikely someone would test negative at 8 and positive at 12.

The virus stays alive only seconds outside of the body. And no, you did not get infected at the clinic from the doorknob.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.