Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
maybe infected?
An_253334 posted:
hi, think maybe i'm exposed to hiv last december because i've known that the man i had unprotected sex with is an hiv positive. but until now that it's august i did not get that much sick ... i did not have fever, or cough ...could i be infected? the man is telling me he is not yet infected that time. I'm so scared to take the hiv test.

lynday99 responded:
been thinking about this everyday for a month now ca anyone out there care to talk to me...if i didnt had fever for 8 months now, does that mean that i don't have the virus?...

georgiagail replied to lynday99's response:
We don't attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms because, well, it's impossible to do so.

Statistically the odds are very much in your favor that even having unprotected sex with an HIV positive individual will not leave someone infected. However, there are plenty of individuals who HAVE become infected the first time they had unprotected sex with a positive individual.

Your posting, however, is a bit confusing. Was your partner infected with this virus at the time you had unprotected sexual contact with him last December? If not he could not, of course, pass the virus onto you.

Gail

lynday99 replied to georgiagail's response:
he just discovered this july while having a medical exam. he is telling that time he is not yet infected that time. i did not get sick with fever ,unexplained sorethroat,cough since decmber. im getting tested when i go home by next month. im very scared im praying a lot i don't have it. i posted here because i feel i really need someone to talk to and i cant tell it to my family. thanks for your time..

Please let us know your test results. In the meantime, if we can help you get through your anxiety while you wait to get tested, feel free to post again.

Gail

lynday99 replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks gail. I'm thinking maybe if i didnt had fever until now i don't have because it's first sign of infection.Am i right? I had my cbc done yesterday wbc, hb, choles, rbs all in normal range..I pray God will be merciful to me from what I have read from websites and blogs if you have it then it's like you will be in bondage with it as long as you live. Praying the cure will be found soon for all the hiv people out there...

Again, one cannot attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms (or lack of symptoms). And your normal white blood count, hemoglobin, cholesterol levels, etc. play absolutely no role whatsoever in someones HIV status.

However, keep this is mind. Let's assume your partner was HIV positive at the time of the unprotected intercourse and you two engaged in vaginal intercourse. The ESTIMATED risk from unprotected receptive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse is 10 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. That's 1 per 1000 exposures.

In order for HIV to be passed on to someone, the virus must, somehow, be able to ENTER the body (unlike many other STD's which require only contact with skin or mucous membranes for transmission). This is why HIV is one of the most difficult STD's to pass on to someone else.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.