Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kissed a girl with an open sore
An_253408 posted:
Hi , Yesterday I has sexual contact with a girl which I am not sure if she is HIV positive or not. I realized later on that she had blood on he lips..I am worried that I have put myself at high risk for STD especially that we were kissing during intercourse...can you please let me know if there is a high risk of catching std when the other person has an open sore when I don't have any sores in my mouth...you response would be very helpful and appreciated

georgiagail responded:
In order for HIV to be passed to you, the virus has to, somehow, actually ENTER your body tissues. This is typically done through a cut, wound, damage done to mucous membranes, etc.

Since you didn't have an open (i.e., bleeding) wounds in your mouth at the time of the lip locking, even assuming she was HIV positive, the virus could not enter your system. The lining of the oral cavity is quite tough (it has to be considering some of the hot/cold/spicy/chewy foods that we eat) and thus pretty difficult to damage.

Gail

r_muki replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail...that was very helpful! I will be able to get some sleep knowing i am not in big danger...I am aware that I might catch other STD's however through similar intercourse so I will probably have to go have a check in few month..thanks

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.