Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 week neg test
An_253424 posted:
hello, I've been very worries that I have hiv. I had a one night stand with a friend that only lasted about 5 minutes. He did not ejaculate. I got tested at 4 weeks and 7 weeks, my results came back negative. I was wondering how accurate is that result? A couple days ago I felt something swollen on my left upper thigh. I was wondering could that be a swollen lymph node? I know that could be a symptom of hiv. but the swelling has already gone down. I need help. I've been stressing myself out every day.

georgiagail responded:
A test done at four weeks post a possible exposure is considered to be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods.

By 12 weeks this has increased to 99.99 percent.

At 7 weeks the statistics are somewhere between these two.

Do you even know if your friend is HIV positive? If he isn't (and remember that ejaculation did not even occur in this event) he, of course, cannot pass the virus onto you.

Gail

shortness10 replied to georgiagail's response:
the incident happened in July. he told me he got tested in may his test was negative.. and in mid August he said he got tested again after our incident. but you know how some people lie about that type of stuff. I think I am just worrying myself.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.