Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
symptoms after two weeks, tested negative at 5 weeks
mostworried posted:
Hi all,

appreciate your support for me i'm worried to the maximum!

i had unprotected vaginal sex which lasted for 2 minutes with a low risk lady but unknown HIV status.

after 16 days, felt so tired and fatigue, muscle and joint pains, fever, night sweats, then sore throat and swollen lymph on neck.

i felt better after 6 days of sleeping only!

then again i felt my lymph in neck and others and sore throat with mild fever "recurrent" that is lasting for one month until now.

i've tested rapid screening test HIV 1/2 on 5 weeks after exposure it was negative. doctor got fed up from my worries and told me no worries.

i know that conclusive is three months. i will take the 8 weeks as well. but please tell me something about my symptoms.

Note: i didn't have cough or runny nose, i had some few itchy rash on arms and neck which i believe from antibiotics i took.

georgiagail responded:
I am sorry but we don't attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms.

However, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to test positive by current testing methods by 4 weeks after transmission. Thus, your 5 week test, while not conclusive, is certainly a very good indicator that your status is likely negative.

In addition, keep in mind that your "exposure" was extremely short term unprotected vaginal intercourse.

The statistics we use for ESTIMATED risk from "insertive" (that's you) unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse is 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since 1. you cannot confirm your partners status and 2. your contact was just 2 minutes.

Gail

mostworried replied to georgiagail's response:
Dear Gail,

Thank you for your support please let me update my case and have your kind advice.

i tested again at 8 weeks post exposure. Ab p24 Ag which came out negative also.

i still have unexplained low grade fever (for about two months now since symptoms appeared), joints pain, mouth problems and fatigue.

i'm trying to convince myself with test results but this persistent fever is driving me crazy!

please advise me can this fever be related to early infection symptoms?

georgiagail replied to mostworried's response:
Again, we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms, only be testing.

Your test results at 8 weeks are even more evidence that this event did not leave you infected.

In addition, the first stage of HIV (called ARS for Acute Retroviral Syndrome) would produce flu like symptoms that would last for just two weeks. In other words, the low grade fever you feel you have for 2 months would not be connected to HIV.

Are you certain there is a fever here? Sometimes anxiety can make us suspect interesting symptoms.

Gail

low grade fever exists and lymph nodes also with body pain. my blood tests showed that i'm not on active EBV or CMV.

i'm not the one who can imagine symptoms and feel it. i know that some people are.

what i want to ask is ARS totally disappears and i would be totally recovered after about 2 weeks or so?

again thank you so much for your kind support and advice.

Yes, ARS symptoms go away (like the "regular" flu) after about 2 weeks and then (with early onset HIV) there are no symptoms for many years.

It is not until the immune system have begun to be severely damaged by the virus that significant symptoms begin to develop. In an untreated individual this takes (on the average) about a decade after the initial transmission to occur.

Gail

Dear Gail,

I hope you fine

i tested again Ab/Ag at 11 weeks and 2 days which came out negative also.

i'm still worried do i have to test anymore? or i shall forget the issue and convince myself to move on?

please advise with thanks in advance.

While the recommended time period is 12 weeks, there would be no difference in your test results from 11 weeks and 2 days and 12 weeks.

You should try to convince yourself to move on.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.