Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood on bath towel
An_252569 posted:
I shower in communal showers on campus. And after I took a shower I went to my room wrapped in my towel and dry off a little bit and noticed this weird dark color stain on pink towel. I tried to wipe it to see if it came off red but nothing came off. I know my shower gel which is brown( neutrogena rain bath) leaves residue on caddy but I don't think my towel touched that part on the caddy with the shower gel. I tried to imitate the stain on my towel by pressing the same towel on the residue and the stain looks similar by I can't be sure. I went back to the bathroom to check all shower curtains and floor didn't see blood but maybe I brushed up against it with my towel and got blood on it. My shower curtain had just a lil red line and could be wiped off with a wet paper towel but I'm not sure if blood. Now I can't remember if I wiped my private area and bottom with the towel before I discovered the stain. I'm terrified that I may get hiv or hepatits.

georgiagail responded:
Let me guess.

You've not taken my suggestion regarding doing some research on how HIV or hepatitis is passed from one individual to another, correct?

Please spend more time doing this and less time thinking up impossible scenarios on how to pick up these diseases. Your life will be SO much more enjoyable if you can somehow manage to live each day not being terrified that every event will leave you infected with these diseases.

Just like the toothbrush AND the Belgian waffle this dark stain on a pink towel is NOT going to leave you infected with either of these diseases.

Look; there are two ways you can become infected with these diseases:

1. Have unprotected sex with someone who is infected with them.

2. Sharing of IV drug needs with someone who is infected with them.

That's it.

Gail

nebraskalove replied to georgiagail's response:
But the stain was a little damp an I've read that the virus of both can survive for some time and I can't remember if I wiped my private area and bottom with the stain spot. I know areas like those can absorb well.

georgiagail replied to nebraskalove's response:
No they can't.

Gail

georgiagail replied to georgiagail's response:
" And after I took a shower I went to my room wrapped in my towel and dry off a little bit and noticed this weird dark color stain on pink towel. I tried to wipe it to see if it came off red but nothing came off." 1. You saw a dark color on a pink towel. 2. You have no idea if this dark color was blood (your OCD automatically assumed it was). 3. Even IF this happened to be blood, you have no idea if this blood came from a person who was infected with either HIV or hepatitis (again, your OCD automatically assumed that it must have been blood AND it must have been blood from someone infected with one or both of these viruses). 4. You have no idea if you touched this area of the towel to your private area (again your OCD automatically assumed you must have). This is not a realistic scenario. Really and truly. Please stop worrying about this.
Gail

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.