Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried and Confused
An_253722 posted:
On 8/13 i had an HIV test done it was a pos. preliminary but a neg. confirmation. I'm not sure what that means and tomorrow im gonna ask for another test. Me and my boyfriend have been together for 7 weeks. I'm confused and worries all at the same time. I haven't had any symptoms. My nodes in my neck are swollen on one side, and throat and tonsils a little red. Other than that i think i may be over reacting or have have mono or something. PLEASE help ease my mind with info on the situation or some advice.

georgiagail responded:
Typically when a screening test comes back as "reactive" (i.e., positive), there is a second test known as Western Blot that is run.

If the Western Blot is also positive, the patient is considered to be HIV positive. If the Western Blot is negative, the patient is HIV negative with the screening test being a "false positive".

Keep in mind that the initial screening test does not check for the actual virus but rather for antibodies that the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. In some cases there can be antibodies that resemble (but are not) those seen in HIV. Thus, there are cases of "false positive" results which is why the second Western Blot test is recommended to confirm or rule out these results.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.