Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
oraquick at home
An_253746 posted:
What are the chances of getting two false negative at home oraquick tests? Their website says it's only 92% accurate/sensitive in picking up a positive infected person. Exposure was 10 yrs ago. Could I be in late stage aids and not know it and possibly not producing enough antibodies gp41 to register on the test? Please help I just keep thinking what if they were false and I'm dying. It says 1 in 12 could get a false negative a 8% false negative rate. I think about it everyday and I'm scared to go to a doctor. I read online articles everyday too. Its becoming an extreme fear. What are my chances? I'm beginning to experience symptoms I think. dry eyes, rash on face and scalp. I've heard of some people with a low cd4 that don't even know they have it and don't experience an opportunistic infection.

georgiagail responded:
Your chances of getting two false negatives on the OraQuick home test kit based on the timeline of your exposure are zero.

The test itself is designed to be easy to use and just about fool proof. However, if one tests too early (only days after a potential exposure) there is a good chance that there will not be enough antibodies present to be picked up by and traditional screening method.

In your case, your exposure was 10 years ago; if infected, there would be no doubt your test results would indicate this.

In addition, if you WERE in late stage AIDS, your symptoms would be far more significant than simply dry eyes and a rash. If you were no longer producing antibodies to anything (and this would be the case if you were showing a false negative result from late stage HIV) you would be experiencing significant weight loss, extreme fatigue, severe diarrhea, likely specific types of pneumonia connected with HIV. In other words, enough serious symptoms to land you in the Emergency Room.

It is untrue that end stage AIDS folks don't experience opportunistic infections as it is these infections that end up killing them, not the actual virus.

Gail

likeabike replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for your help! I have kids and I didn't want to be falsely reassured and then die. I took 2 tests only because of all those false negative chances. Then all articles say symptoms can take 10 years to even start showing. I was going to do the home access because that was showing 99% accurate.

likeabike replied to likeabike's response:
Do you think I should test again? It's there any other reason it would be a false negative? Is it possible that I might have a low cd4 but haven't developed an opportunistic infection yet?

I don't know how this forum works can you see my comment?

georgiagail replied to likeabike's response:
Yes, I can see you comment and no, you don't need to test any further although I suspect that you will.

Gail

I really don't want to but I am really scared about it. They're so expensive but I just want to be sure you know. It could be the difference of life and death. Why make a test like that with one antigen and with such a large false negative rate?

georgiagail replied to likeabike's response:
The false negative rates occur when folks test too early as many tend to do.

This is not the case with you.

Accept you are HIV negative and move on with your life.

Gail

foreveraggie replied to georgiagail's response:
Georgia Gail, if 1 in 12 is a false negative, is it do to user error or to the test not being able to recognize the antibodies in certain individuals? I thought I have read that of known hiv infected individuals, this test missed 1 in 12... However, you state that it is because of testing too early! Which is it?

georgiagail replied to foreveraggie's response:
The testing is done too early before there is enough antibodies present in the body to be picked up by such screening tests as the OraQuick.

Remember that the recommended time period of testing is 90 days after a potential exposure. If you'll look back at many of the postings here the majority of folks under stress cannot wait that long and will often test only days after an event. Thus, while their results will often be "non-reactive" (i.e., negative) one cannot tell if this is because they are truly HIV negative or the immune system simply hasn't cranked out enough antibodies to be able to be picked up by current screening tests.

Gail

Gail, I have to ask because my son has weird bumps on his body and has had a raspy voice for over 2.5 weeks. Had it last year at this time for months!!! Are you sure these at home tests are accurate??? I am still scared %# %ess!!!

I'm sorry but I cannot provide any further information than I already have for the previous six pages (in your previous posting) that all the testing you have done on your son has clearly indicated he is not infected with this virus.

If you remain scared %#%less even after all these tests you have run on him then perhaps it is time for some counseling for you to help you get over this fear of a disease he does not have and to accept his negative status.

Good luck...

Gail

Gail, I just reread that 1 out of 12 KNOWN infected individuals test Negative!!! If these individuals are known to be positive, then why would the OraQuick at Home test show negative? Please explain?!?! Report said nothing about testing too early!

foreveraggie replied to foreveraggie's response:
Gail, I am sorry that I have posted and reported, but my son has obvious symptoms and something is causing them! All the canker sores and now what appear to be molluscum contagiosum. All the research I have done states that these are symptoms of hiv in the minor symptomatic stage! Hence, scared *%#%less!!! Is there something different with the OraQuick at Home test for using it on children?

Whatever your son has (and a raspy throat could simply mean allergies) has NOTHING to do with HIV.

Your issue is (and always has been) that you are unable to believe any of the test results from the OraQuick tests you have done on your child. You continue to obsess that, despite putting him through several tests, the test results must, somehow, be incorrect and that he is infected from being around someone you know who is HIV positive.

There really is nothing further that an internet forum can provide you that will help to alleviate your fears regarding this matter.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.