Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
im scared and driving myself crazy!!!
Justscared2013 posted:
On Aug 24 I had unprotected sex with a man that I have known my whole life after that on the 26th I found out his beat friend a female that died of cancer in June might have messed with him but she had HIV for two years I iimmediately went to er crying and confused I was checked for everything my results where all negative but they said I tested positive for gonerrea I was treated I then called him and he went to er also that day after that on sept 9th I was tested for antibodies and a test called naat the antibodies test came back in 30 minutes negative the naat test came back negative in a week sept 17 I was checked again negative sept 30 again negative I'm going back 2morrow it will b six weeks since intercourse they said when I took the naat test that its very accurate and I need to relax but its hard I want to know when I can stop this I'm crying not eating not wanting to do anything the doctor said with the naat you can tell 10 days after exposure and I was after 10 days I shouldn't worry! But I need a 100% answer I'm scared I'm 26 no kids I want my life back

georgiagail responded:
Please define what "might have messed with him" means.

It matters in terms of what we are talking about here.

Gail

Justscared2013 replied to georgiagail's response:
I am not sure if they where involved I'm asking about the tests though especially the naats test I took 14 days after inter course that was negative

georgiagail replied to Justscared2013's response:
Your indicate your partner went to the ER also.

Was he also tested for HIV at that time?

Gail

I did not go with him I'm saying I don't know I know he was treated for gonerrea and that I had a 5 HIV tests that where negative 1 naat test 14 days after intercourse that was negative and a rapid HIV test today at 6weeks after inter course and it was negative I'm asking when should I stop getting checked when do I know I'm fine?

The reason I asked regarding him is that from the timeline you describe his "messing" around (and I'm going to assume it was unprotected intercourse) with this person must have taken place before June of 2013 since she passed away that month.

If he tested negative at the ER visit in September he does not have the virus and he could not have passed HIV onto to you during your unprotected intercourse with him.

The recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure. Doesn't matter how many tests you take days after a possible exposure.

Gail

I don't know if he was tested I know the naat test I took to check for virus itself they said it can show the virus up I. Ur system after 10 days messed with means had sex with I don't know if he did or his status! I know the virus didn't show up thru NAAT test and after 6 weeks no anti bodies have shown up!

If this helps ease your concerns...

The NAAT test (for Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing), often known as the HIV DNA/RNA test checks for the actual presence of the virus as opposed to the standard ELISA test which checks for the presence of antibodies that the immune system begins to crank out after transmission has taken place.

While a more difficult (and expensive!) test to run (it is typically used to check the virual load of positive individual to determine both when medication is needed and if their medications are working as well as checking all donated blood for the presence of the virus), it provides an excellent tool to determine ones status.

If the lab who ran your sample knows what they are doing, and no virus was found, you ARE HIV negative.

Gail

Ms Gail after I messaged u I did my 6 week test the doctor ran 3 tests at the same time one was CDC HIV which tests for antigens and antibodies the other was a pcr RNA and the other was a hiv1 genotype my results came back for the CDC HIV test they where NEGATIVE the pcr RNA test was cancelled because not enough blood to do test the hiv 1 genotype is not back yet what is this test? And after all my negatives with the NAAT, 4GENERATION COMBO, 3 ANTIBODY TESTS, 2 CDC HIV TESTS which all where NEGATIVE will this test come back different? What is it?

Holy smoke! You must have one hell of a good insurance plan or a ton of money to pay for the cost of all these tests that you don't need.

They will ALL come back negative, include the HIV 1 genotype.

Gail

Ha ha ha my insurance but I been so stressed these 7 weeks they are trying to ease my mind I been nervous because the hiv1 genotype hasn't come back yet its been 5 days but the CDC HIV test did and not a lot know about the HIV 1 genotype I was worried the result could change people have told me that if I had 7 negatives including the naat and fourth generation that I'm fine and will continue to b negative! Can u tell me what the HIV 1 genotype is?

HIV 1 genotype testing is typically done on folks who are HIV positive and on medication to determine if they are become resistant to their particular medications.

Thus, I am uncertain why your physician ordered it for you since you are HIV negative (and why this will come back as negative along with all the other tests).

Gail

I think she was just trying to cover everything because of my anxiety but I hope u are right and this genotype is negative I have been googling and reading up Lol n it and that's what I thought if I'm negative the genotype would b negative

Ms Gail I called and canceled that test the HIV 1 genotype because if it is for positive people and I have had 7 negatives including nucleic acid amplification test and 4th generation there is no need to keep testing I'm done and going to get over this I thank u for your help and advise its time for me to move forward since I am negative and I have a dozen tests in 6weeks to prove it!

Nancy1983 responded:
Dear Scared, I really understand your fear considering the circumstances. You knew the person for all those yrs but from my longlife experience- I'm 58yrs. old and Drs estimated that I contracted the disease In the late 1980's from my numbers when I showed up 90lbs half dead from full blown AIDS in 2003 in the tiny state of DE. Pardon me, I was saying that from my experience -people lie they seem to lie a lot when it comes to a disease with so much stigma . To pick up where I left off ...I finally got tested for HIV/AIDS aat planned parenthood after a 14 yr. attempt at finding an infectious disease or OBGYN DR. who could properly diagnose me.I was misdiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome and saw over 40 Drs over the years. I was prescribed 1000 mg. a day of Augmentin all those yrs. to control all the pneumonias I constantally had. The Drs back in the day, actually told me that I didn't fit the type of person who gets HIV/AIDS. They tested me for every STD but AIDS! You are lucky to be living in this age of awareness when you can go so many places and get tested for free as often as you want and that's what I would urge you to do as long as u r sexually active. I think if you get tested every 3 to 6 months on a regular basis and never have unprotected sex, you will get over your excessive worry. I contracted my HIV doing infection in a dental office , but by the x I got a correct diagnosis, 14 yrs went by and I had full blown AIDS with a CD of 4 and it left me with AIDS Dementia Complex and it took me 10 yrs to become undectable. It sounds to me you'll be fine after this scare all the negatives you've been getting (in testing) can't be all wrong but to ease your mind as I said ,just keep testing at different places.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.