Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick result can be trusted
Abdi06 posted:
Gail, i wanna ask you. I have french kissed with the doctor and he said he was infected of hiv about a year and a half ago. Now my hb become 11.4 that less than normal and i also have sensitive skin. I got tested by oraquick today and the result is negative, could i trust the result gail? Thank you and please answer i really feel so stress

georgiagail responded:
Kissing (even deep kissing such as "french" kissing) is not considered to be a risk for HIV transmission.

Why not?

Swapping spit (i.e., saliva) with an HIV positive individual would not be a problem. The virus would not reside in the saliva of this individual.

If blood were present (his) you would also need an OPEN (i.e., bleeding) wound in your mouth at the time of the kissing for there to even be a risk of transmission of his blood into your body. It is unlikely that you'd be doing much kissing with such an open wound.

What's the story in terms of mouth health during all this kissing?

Gail

Abdi06 replied to georgiagail's response:
I think i don't have open wounded nor him. And about the result of the oraquick that show negative, could i trust it? Or i have to take blood test, because i'm very scared and i wanna get married, i just don't wanna mess up my marriage and my husband later, thank you gail, please suggest me the best way

georgiagail replied to Abdi06's response:
Trust the OraQuick test result, put the event behind you, get married and enjoy your life with your new husband.

The accuracy of the Oraquick test is the same as if you had a blood test.

Gail

Abdi06 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so much gail...

Abdi06 replied to Abdi06's response:
And about the false negative, if i get tested after one and a half year means my negative result is accurate right?

georgiagail replied to Abdi06's response:
Most definitely!

Gail

Sebastian1980 replied to georgiagail's response:
Dear georgiagail I have unprotected sex right about a year now by mistake All of a sudden hiv pop up in my head So I took 5 oraquick home test all negative pretty sure I follow the instruction I hope but I'm so nervous can you please help Gail what's you take on this can I trust the results or do I need further testing ??

georgiagail replied to Sebastian1980's response:
No further testing is needed.

A test that is done at least 3 months after a possible exposure is considered to be both conclusive and definitive in its results.

Look; perhaps one could be nervous enough with the first test to not wait the required time period to read the results. But screwing up not following with FIVE tests? Hardly. This test was designed to be very, very easy to use and very, very fool proof.

Accept that yes, you are HIV negative and that all these tests have clearly shown this and get on with your life and stop worrying about this.

Gail

But I want to add this what really freak me out was I just got engage and I'm happy and a day after I started freaking out cause hiv pop up in my head and I do love her What scared me was I been having diarrhea for a while I did have some of my colon removed few years ago cause I been having crohns since I was four I seen diarrhea can be with hiv I recently started with a sore throat but I do have bad sinuses And I my back bothers sometimes and my knees

Sebastian1980 replied to Sebastian1980's response:
Another thing I wanted to ask Gail So you saying with it being a year and I took five oraquick home test there's no way for false negatives?? I also read that it can take up to ten years sometimes for hiv to pop is this truth I know you know a lot about this cause I been reading your post and been wanting to discuss this with you

No, it doesn't take 10 years for HIV to "pop" (I'm assuming you mean pop up).

On the average, it takes an untreated individual about a decade to go from HIV to the end stage of the disease, AIDS. Until then there is generally no symptoms which explains that many are walking around infected and unaware of this. It often isn't until the AIDS stage that we begin to see the symptoms of a severely damaged immune system.

However, this does NOT mean that testing will not show their status. The most common screening tests check for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. By three months post transmission 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies to be picked up by screening tests such as the OraQuick.

So...while a person may not have symptoms for many years that does not mean testing will not show their positive status.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

So...while a person may not have symptoms for many years that does not mean testing will not show their positive status.?? I don't understand this I'm sorry Gail

What don't you understand?

Symptoms (or lack of them) mean nothing. Symptoms do not show up until the immune system has been terrible damaged by the virus.

Testing is done to check antibodies that the immune system turns out after transmission has taken place. A healthy immune system will crank out antibodies when it detects a foreign substance (in this case, the virus) has invaded the body. Screening checks for these specific antibodies.

An HIV positive person can have these antibodies and have absolutely no symptoms of the disease.

Gail

Oh ok I see. So after five home oraquick test and it's been a since a possible expose that's good accurate results I got I wanted to talk with cause you seem to know so much about this and the reason I ask about my results and if further testing is needed is cause there's a lot f talk about false negatives and false positives and stuff and like I said I do have crohns that's something that scared me about the results didn't knows if that could affect it or not Is oraquick home test close to blood work

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.