Skip to content
Is a hiv test negative at 10 weeks after exposure considered conclusive and does pep effect test results
HotR718 posted:
I had unprotected sex with woman born with hiv 4 or 5 times on July 31st. 4 days later she told me she was born with hiv. I went to the hospital that same day and got pep and took it for a month. I stopped taking it on September 9th.

I got a rapid antibody test on October 4th and was negative. I also a hiv test on October 8th. I think it was a combo test but I'm not sure. The hiv counseler told me it was a antibody test but the paper from the lab says HIV1 AG HIV 1/2 AB

Can someone tell me if it's a combo test or antibody test? Would the medicine I was taking effect cause a false negative on my test? I also wanted to know should I be less worried cause I been stressed and losing sleep over this and everything. The counseler said I'm ok and that I don't need further testing but I still feel nervous cause the internet says 3 months

I techinally got tested 9 weeks and 6 days after exposure but I guess that's the same as 10 weeks right? Can pep cause false negatives

georgiagail responded:
Yes; this is an antibody test. It screens for both HIV 1 and 2. Most screening tests will cover both strains.

The recommended time period for testing is 12 weeks after a potential encounter.

You state this partner was born with HIV. Is she on medication and if so, is she under good control (i.e., what is her viral load...the amount of virus she carries in her body)?

Gail

HotR718 replied to georgiagail's response:
Are you sure it wasn't a combo test too? What do the letters AG Stand for?

She told me she on medication and that her viral load is undetectable. I just don't know whether to believe her cause I feel so nervous and scared right now. What the chances of me getting it if she is telling the truth?

Do you think I should wait till October 31st to get tested since the days And her had sex was July 31st? That would be 13 weeks. Or do you think I should go the week of October 21st since that will be 12 weeks

I did test negative at 10 weeks. Is that reassuring? What's the chances my test will be negative on my next test? Please help me

georgiagail replied to HotR718's response:
http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm364480.htm

Yes, this was a combo test.

Doesn't matter if you test at 12 or 13 weeks.

Gail

Nancy1983 responded:
If I were you, I would continue to get tested every three months for a year. I,ve had a lifetime of screw-ups from lab tests and wrong diagnosis. I spent yrs. not getting the right diagnosis after being infected by working in infection control in my ex husband's dental office in Wilmington, DE. Now I've been living with an M>D> who is an internist a Pediatrition and he comes home with lots of stories of lab screw ups of all kinds from patients he gets from other Dr's. If your out there being active, I think you would be at ease getting a regular test no matter who you slept with,especially since free tests are everywhere these days...Nancy1983

georgiagail replied to Nancy1983's response:
This is excellent information (testing every three months) if one continues to engage in unprotected sexual intercourse) but it is important to understand that 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will show a positive test result by 90 days post exposure.

The small percentage who need to wait until six months (not one year) would be those whose immune system has already been damaged by other, severe medical issues such as recently having undergone chemotherapy or those who have had an organ transplant and are on immune suppressive medications. For those folks it MAY take their immune systems longer to produce the antibodies connected with HIV.

Gail

HotR718 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hey I'm back. I got tested October 23 which is 12 weeks from the exposure and it was negative. I had a rapid antibody test, a standard antibody test and I also had am acute hiv test which I assume is the hiv viral rna test. They was all negative. I also got another rapid antibody test on October 30th. That was negative too. Can I stop being stress and put this behind me now? Is it finally over or do I need further testing

georgiagail replied to HotR718's response:
Yes, you can stop stressing and celebrate your negative status. Congratulations!

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.