Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need a simplified answer and some advice!!
An_253722 posted:
Ok Aug 10 i had possible exposure i was tested Aug 13 with a pos preliminary and a neg confirmation. i got tested again Oct 1 the test done i dont understamd and no one explained it was a HIV 2 antibody EIA with reflex to immunoblot which was non reactive results please someone explain what this means?

An_253722 responded:
This is about 8 weeks after my exposure i do not have any flu like symptoms or anything that would indicate i have it. Im in the process of trying to concieve and this is scaring me to death the doctor went in dept with the first test stating the first western blot was neg and the things that indicate hiv were absent no explaination of the second test.

georgiagail responded:
Your August 13th initial test was a totally useless screening test with a false positive result, confirmed by the negative Western Blot.

Even IF you had been infected on August 10th there simply would not have been enough antibodies present by August 13th to be picked up by any antibody screening test.

Why the positive result then? Because there can be antibodies present that look SIMILAR to (but are not) those seen in HIV and these can result in false positive test results. This is why every positive antibody test should be followed up by the Western Blot to confirm or rule out the diagnosis.

Your October 1 test was also negative but keep in mind that the recommended time period for testing is 90 days after a possible exposure. Thus, while the signs are all extremely good that this event did NOT leave you infected (and you did not describe what this exposure was) it would be best to "cover all bases" by having the final test at 12 weeks.

While you are waiting for this perhaps these statistics may bring you some comfort. Around 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result 1 month after transmission. By 3 months (90 days) this has increased to 99.99 percent. Your 8 week test falls somewhere in between these two stats; very, very good evidence that this did not leave you infected.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

An_253722 replied to georgiagail's response:
I keep reading the results and i seem to be either driving myself crazy or being worried for a reason. I wanted a better explanation and more in depth explanation to the test and no one is telling me what it means (My exposure was unprotected sex). Its been 12 weeks and they want me to wait til January to get tested yet again.This will be 3 times im tested. The first preliminary came out positive/ confirmation neg, the second non reactive and until they give me a definitive no i will continue to drive my self nuts over this. The terminology used on the results are confusing from Quest diagnostics and i feel like i have it and they want me to wait because they know i do.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.