Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Risk of transmission from Dry Needling
    ag1884 posted:
    Hi
    One week ago I went to a physiotherapy clinic and the therapist used a couple of dry needles to relieve pain in my shoulder. As per the head physiotherapist there, all needles they use are disposable. But I still keep worrying about possibility of HIV transmission if the needles were actually being re-used. What are the chances of hiv transmission in case the needles were not disposable and were not properly sterilised. Should I get tested?

georgiagail responded:
    The emphasis is on "dry" needles. They do not come in contact with blood and they certain wouldn't contain wet blood.

Thus, there is absolutely no risk of HIV transmission from these.

Gail

ag1884 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Thanx Gail

I hope it was dry needling...that is what the internet tells me. Anyways, I didn't see any blood

georgiagail replied to ag1884's response:
    This is an acupuncture-type approach to treating pain. These are not hollow core needles used to used inject or withdraw anything into or out of the body. The needles tend to be very slender and are not inserted very deeply into the body.

Gail

Helpful Tips

heres my point
    stay away from needles unless your health depends on it...and for christs sake dont share them. too late for me to heed that advice. dying ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.