Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Risk of transmission from Dry Needling
ag1884 posted:
Hi
One week ago I went to a physiotherapy clinic and the therapist used a couple of dry needles to relieve pain in my shoulder. As per the head physiotherapist there, all needles they use are disposable. But I still keep worrying about possibility of HIV transmission if the needles were actually being re-used. What are the chances of hiv transmission in case the needles were not disposable and were not properly sterilised. Should I get tested?

georgiagail responded:
The emphasis is on "dry" needles. They do not come in contact with blood and they certain wouldn't contain wet blood.

Thus, there is absolutely no risk of HIV transmission from these.

Gail

ag1884 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanx Gail

I hope it was dry needling...that is what the internet tells me. Anyways, I didn't see any blood

georgiagail replied to ag1884's response:
This is an acupuncture-type approach to treating pain. These are not hollow core needles used to used inject or withdraw anything into or out of the body. The needles tend to be very slender and are not inserted very deeply into the body.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.