Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick results
tsmith12790 posted:
Gail,

So, after oral with someone I found out later was HIV possible back in June. Of course I freaked out. I immediately took a oraquick test and it came up negative. I waited 2 months and took another which was negative. Then I just took one today and it came up negative again. So, with these results and the time that has passed by, it would seem I am ok?

georgiagail responded:
Testing done at least 3 months after a potential exposure is considered to be both conclusive and definitive in its results.

This last test done today was certainly past that 3 month mark and thus you can trust the results.

In addition, oral sex (both giving and receiving) in itself carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission in the first place. The statistics we use in terms of estimated risk with a source known to carry the virus are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures.

Gail

tsmith12790 replied to georgiagail's response:
Whew. I feel much better now. I will go with the final test results.

Thank you for all your advice on this forum and taking the time to answer our questions. Even though you get many of the same ones, you still take time to answer each post. I can't thank you enough!!!

foreveraggie replied to tsmith12790's response:
Gail, about to give my son another OraQuick test... He now has swollen lymph nodes in his armpits!!! Why do things keep happening!??! I can't take much more of this!!! Do you think he will still test negative????? I am once again scared to death!!!

georgiagail replied to foreveraggie's response:
Yes; he will test negative. Why would this test result be any different than the others you have done on him?

Again, it is suggested that if you remain concerned about canker sores (and now swollen lymph nodes) make an appointment with a pediatrician for your son (if he is not too old so see one) or a physician that treats adults...as opposed to taking him either to an ER or a "doc in the box" and sit down and discuss your concerns over these symptoms.

Gail

foreveraggie replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail, I pulled the test out of the the solution at 18:30 to 19:00 minutes. Would that skew the results?

Nope...

Gail

Gail, so after my sons 4th OraQuick home test that showed negative, there is absolutely NO WAY he could have hiv?????

That is correct. How many more tests will it take to convince you of this?

Gail

But why the canker sores and lymph Node swelling??? And raspy voice for a month??? Other than that, healthy as a hog!!! Plays on 2 baseball teams!!!

foreveraggie replied to foreveraggie's response:
I have read that the OraQuick should not be used on children and that blood tests are the only way to know at this age group! Why would he OraQuick not be for children?

Well, your relief at knowing your son doesn't have HIV lasted..what; all of 1 day before you went back to worrying over all of this?

Since I have no idea where you read this, I have no idea who came up with the idea why this theory.

Gail

One of the doctors on Medhelp.org

foreveraggie replied to foreveraggie's response:
GeorgiaGail, Someone asked about testing their 8 year old daughter and the Dr. stated that the correct test if exposure warranted to test, would be a blood test, as OraQuick tests have never been tested on children! Hence my concern!!!

(Well, it's certainly been tested on your son...at least four times!).

So take your son in for a blood test as I suspect you'll never rest easy now until he undergoes one.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Encouragement for those who are worried
I gained a lot of reassurance reading this board over the last week and I just wanted to post my own experience to hopefully ease the minds ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.