Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please explain in detail about this test please I'm confused
unmkhgf posted:
Is a Hiv1/2 eia with reflexes Hiv1/2 eia ab screen. A good test is it a fourth generation test is it a test that can detect early results so you don't have to take any more tests I tested negative with this test at twenty six days please advise I wanted to take the best test qwest diagnostict preformed this test and nobody is able to answer my qwestions please help me gial please. Is a negative with this test good can I relax.

georgiagail responded:
Yes, this test is an excellent screening test.

However, you need to understand why the recommended 90 day waiting period. Screening tests do not check for the presence of the virus but rather for antibodies that the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. It takes a while for the level of these antibodies to be high enough in the body to be picked up by current testing methods.

By one month post exposure it is estimated that 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result when screened. By three months (90 days) this has increased to 99.99 percent. Thus, the recommendation for testing at 90 days.

If you are comfortable that your 26 day test result is accurate then you can decide not to test again and relax with this result.
That is your personal decision.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.