Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How long can a gram-negative anaerobic bacteria live outside the body?
pruttygurl234 posted:
Hi, my doctor diagnosed me with an anaerobic bacteria infection. I was given a course of antibiotics to cure it, I am just about to complete the course, and I was wondering how long the bacteria could live in my bed sheets or clothing?

Should I go on a germ killing blitzkrieg before I stop taking the antibiotics so I don't reinfect myself? Or is after a 10 day course enough time for the microscopic jerks to have died off and I don't have to worry about cleaning anything?

I worry because I heard gram negative bacteria are quite the long livers.

georgiagail responded:
Bacteria are living critters and they require nutrients. They wouldn't get this from bedsheets or clothing and thus would not survive very long outside the body.

I'm going to assume you toss your bedsheets in the laundry on a weekly basis. That should take care of the issue.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.