Skip to content
how big of a risk is precum in contacting hiv
peacefully121 posted:
hello, i was wondering if the risk for precum in contracting HIV is smaller than [cum>. i started seeing this guy, saw him a bunch of times, then last week we had unprotected sex twice (i wasn't thinking). he didn't come both times, which is good, but now i'm freaking out because what if there was precum. and now he has completely disappeared, which means he's a complete jerk and i never really knew him, and he could have been doing anything before i met him, sharing needles, having lots of unprotected sex with other girls, who knows. I just need a little peace of mind. please let me know how big of a risk this really is. i can't spend the next 3 months not sleeping at night. thank you.

georgiagail responded:
The virus in a positive male is found in the semen; thus, the "pre-ejaculate" in a positive male would contain the virus.

Gail

peacefully121 replied to georgiagail's response:
So is the risk the same then or less?

georgiagail replied to peacefully121's response:
Research on risk IS limited as it's rather unethical to deliberately expose folks to the virus through various sexual exercises (i.e., exposure to pre-ejacuate versus exposure to ejaculate for example). There's a limit on how detailed one can get regarding risk which is why these are all estimates.

If it helps, the statistics we use for estimated unprotected receptive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse is 10 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Things to keep in mind...

1. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status. I would suspect that right now you might be thinking this guy must be a bit of a slimeball for disappearing on you (and perhaps he is) but that doesn't mean he must automatically also be HIV positive (if this helps).

2. In order for the virus to infect someone it must actually ENTER the body through a cut, tear, wound, damaged or susceptible mucous membrane, etc.. If the sex was not long or did not leave you particularly sore it is unlikely vaginal membranes were damaged.

Gail

peacefully121 replied to georgiagail's response:
Ok thank you, that helps definitely

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.