Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Transmission misinformation, possible blacked out sex, Scared to death
scratchthisout posted:
I recently made a poor decision and decided to go out drinking by myself.
I ended up hanging out with this guy from Africa, and I think that it is possible that while I was blacked out, he had sex with me.
I have no idea of his status, or if a condom was even used.

I have been to the hospitol and planned parenthood. It was too late to get Pep because the next day I didnt believe we had sex, but as memories came back, on the forth day I went in and got the morning after pill.

My thing now is there is so much conflicting information out there about transmission. I have read that in studies that one out of 1000 exposures can result in HIV.

Then I have read if infected semen comes in contact with the inside of the vagina, transmission has occurred if the viral load is high enough.

But then I have read in other places and told by a nurse that tearing must occur, or he must get deep up inside you with semen or blood.

I am so confused.

When I came home I coudnt feel any semen inside of me like a man had ejaculated, but I just dont know.

I have scheduled my testing and follow up testing for 3 and 6 months.
Then a girl at planned parent hood told me that her brother did not test positive for 2 years!

Please help me with the FACTS on HIV transmission so I have an idea of what my real risks are. I have always used protection and been extremely careful in the past. But that night I may have been unconscious in front of a stranger who raped me.

georgiagail responded:
The facts are....

In order for transmission to occur, the virus must, somehow, be able to actually enter your body. In vaginal intercourse this is typically done through a mucous membrane that can be irritated, torn or thinned a bit during the intercourse. If the virus comes in contact with blood vessels near the surface of these membranes, transmission can then take place.

Keep in mind that simply because this fellow was from Africa is, of course, no guarantee he is HIV positive. The statistics we use in terms of ESTIMATED risk from unprotected receptive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse are 10 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Assuming intercourse did take place, your risk would be less since you cannot confirm his status.

Screening for HIV involves checking for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. By one month post transmission 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies to be picked up by current testing methods. By 3 months (90 days), this has increased to 99.99 percent of newly infected folks.

The girl at Planned Parenthood told you incorrect information. Those who might need to wait for six month testing are folks whose immune systems have been damaged by other, serious medical issues such as those who have recently undergone chemotherapy or someone who has had an organ transplant and is on immune suppressing medication to prevent organ rejection.

For the rest of us, 3 month test results are both definitive and conclusive in terms of a persons status.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit for you.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.