Skip to content
HIV from oral sex
harris_ga posted:
Hello,

I have something that I am concerned about:

I am a guy who had unprotected oral sex with another guy. He did not climax. But, about a three days later I developed a headache that was off and on for a day and a half. About two weeks later, I developed a sinus infection, My only symptoms included: runny nose, sinus pressure, watery eyes and a rise in body temperature what would go from 98.6 to around 99.5. It never stayed at 99.5, but would go from normal to about that randomly.

Around that time, the weather here in Georgia has been fluctuating between around 70 degrees to 29 on different days. Also, I am in college and a lot of other students are sick with what appears to be common colds. I also received a flu shot in August of this year.

I know that I have to wait about two more months to test for HIV. But I was wondering if someone would tell me what they think about the situation. Do you believe I contracted the virus?

Thank you in advance for any advise,
Harris

georgiagail responded:
We don't attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms. However, keep in mind that oral sex (both giving and receiving) carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission.

The statistics we use on estimated risk from unprotected oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry to virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

For what it's worth, I'm in Georgia also and currently battling a cold from the crazy weather we are having. It's pretty common in my neck of the woods right now (and yes, I got my flu shot also).

Gail

harris_ga replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

Thank you for the expeditious response, it really helps! I do believe that it was a sinus infection and that my paranoia took over - getting the best of me. But I wanted to ask someone anyway. It's also great to hear that you are in Georgia too. I am in a northern suburb and the weather is really crazy.

With gratitude,
Harris

tsmith12790 replied to harris_ga's response:
Harris,

Gail is so helpful on these boards. I had the same concerns while I waited for the right time to take HIV tests. I've done three (90 days, 120, 180 days) all were negative, but before that, Gail was so kind and courteous with her responses.

Thank you Gail for all you do!

harris_ga replied to tsmith12790's response:
Greetings tsmith,

Thank you for replying to my thread. After reading your previous posts, it seems like you and I shared a similar experience. I am so grateful for the replies the two of you lest. I allowed anxiety and stress to get the best of me. But you and Gail have given me peace.

With gratitude,
Harris

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.