Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick Home Test
nighttrain1974 posted:
Hello. I made a foolish mistake back in July 19, 2013. I had very brief unprotected sex with a csw. When I say brief, probably about 10 seconds. I took the Oraquick Home Test at 11 weeks, 12 weeks, 89 days, and 4 months 2 days after exposure. Can I trust my results and move on? I have been a nervous wreck. I didn't worry until the 11th week. Every since then I have been a ball of nerves. Anxiety is eating me up. Never had any symptoms. I know, I need to quit reading on the internet. I have learned my lesson for sure. Please, honest answers only. I want my life back.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

nighttrain1974 responded:
Forgot to say the results were all negative.

nighttrain1974 responded:
Forgot to say all results were negative.

georgiagail replied to nighttrain1974's response:
The honest answer is yes, you can trust these test results.

Quite honestly, it is highly unlikely that a 10 second exposure would have posed much of a risk even if this person was HIV positive.

However, your test results have confirmed your negative status in regards to HIV. Stop reading the internet, put your fears aside, keep a box of latex condoms handy and focus on the rest of your life.

Gail

nighttrain1974 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so much ma'am. I will never do that again.

nighttrain1974 replied to nighttrain1974's response:
I am just scared it will show up years later and ruin my life because of one VERY foolish mistake I made. I am afraid I'm gonna be the one the results will be wrong and I'm walking around infected.

No, the test results were not wrong.

In order for transmission of HIV to occur, the virus must, somehow, be able to actually ENTER the body (unlike other STD's such as herpes simplex which require only contact with skin or membranes for transmission).

This makes HIV one of the most difficult STD's to transmit to another person. This is why my comment on the 10 second "exposure".

Of course, because there is no cure for this and it ultimately will advance to AIDS, it's also the one that scares the willies out of many.

Your test results were not wrong. Heavens, you've taken enough of them that you should realize this by now. Accept your negative status and rejoice in this.

Gail

Yes ma'am. I will do my best to move on and try to stay off the internet. I read a comment you made on someone else's post about there ought to be a built in devise that makes it blow up once they receive a negative result or something like that. You are right. So much information out there now it's hard to believe anything even though I know most of it is probably wrong. Thank you ma'am for your time and input. God bless.

nighttrain1974 replied to nighttrain1974's response:
Forgot to mention one thing that is bothering me. I have rubbed a blister on my nose from rubbing it so much last week. It has been a week. It seems to be taking longer to heal. Has me worried. Granted it is in a bad spot and I keep rubbing it and the scab keeps coming off. All I can think of is hiv. I know I need to quit thinking like that. Any advice?

Quit thinking like that.

Gail

Yes ma'am. I am really trying. Why is it so hard to accept these negative results?

Possibly because your sexual encounter involved a sex worker and perhaps some guilt or mistaken assumptions are rolled up in all of this.

Often sex workers are far more aware of the risks of STD's than the girl next door.

Gail

You are very right ma'am. Guilt. It's funny how our minds play tricks on us. I know I took the test right because all 4 had just the "C" line show. That means the test worked correctly, but I don't know why I think like this, I begin to wonder if I took it correctly. Anxiety is all it is. I know this. Thank you Ms. Gail for your time and input. You help me more than you know. God bless you.

Couple of things to keep in mind..

1. Test results beat "symptoms" each and every time. Keep repeating that to yourself.

2. HIV is, after all, only a disease. One with a very specific requirement for transmission. It is not a punishment for a lifestyle choice such as having sex with a sex worker.

Gail

Thank you so much Ms. Gail for helping me ease my mind and anxiety. I will do my best to move forward and try to move on with my life.

Helpful Tips

A few words of advice that you can choose to take to heart
Just get tested every six months if you plan on, or a regular practitioner of unsafe sex. Since Six months is the final window period after ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.