Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Could I get infected from hiv?
rickjames1103 posted:
My girlfriend and I had sex a few days ago. She was on her period. I used a condom. This is the first time I've done anything like that with anybody. After we finished, I took the condom off and properly disposed of it. I noticed on my right thumb (the hand I used to remove the condom) there was a small area in the corner where skin on my hand and my nail meet was damaged. Blood from her had gotten on it. I went and washed my hands immediately upon noticing it. It was not sore or anything, and wasn't bleeding either, which made me think it was healed enough to where nothing foreign could get inside. It still bothers me when I think about it, though. She's only the 2nd girl in my life that I've had sex with, but that could mean nothing. Should I be worried for a possible HIV infection from this one incident?

georgiagail responded:
No (and is your girlfriend even infected with this virus?).

Gail

rickjames1103 replied to georgiagail's response:
No, she doesn't have it.

georgiagail replied to rickjames1103's response:
Then let's look at this logically.

HIV is an infectious disease. In order for someone to pass it on to another person, they need to be infected with the actual virus. In other words, it's simply not lurking in everyones blood.

Since you girlfriend isn't infected with this virus, coming in contact with her menstrual blood is not going to infect you with HIV.

Gail

rickjames1103 replied to georgiagail's response:
I could be wrong, but I thought that you yourself could get the virus started by coming in contact with someone else's blood (though an open wound). I mentioned in the beginning post that I had a potential sore on my thumb.

georgiagail replied to rickjames1103's response:
How would you propose that the virus gets "started"? It just doesn't show up out of thin air.

Again, in order for you to become infected you would need to come in contact with the bodily fluids (i.e., sexual fluids, blood) of an infected individual and those bodily fluids must be able to get INTO your own body.

Why was this incident not risky for you?

1. Damaged skin near a nail is not an open portal into the body.

2. And more importantly, said girlfriend doesn't have the virus in the first place. She has nothing to pass onto you. Simply touching her menstrual blood even with damaged skin doesn't make HIV suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.