Skip to content
possible exposure
An_254016 posted:
I gave oral sex to a friend of mine. We did use a condom while I gave him oral sex but when I was done I noticed in the condom there was some fluid that looked frothy. I thought that there might have been a hole in the condom and some of my saliva got in there. Now I am freaking out because if saliva got in then, there is a possiblity that his fluids got into my mouth and I may have been infected with something. Is this possible? He did give me oral sex as well, but we did not use a barrier when he performed on me on an earlier encounter. What are my chances of catching HIV? He told me that he tested negative earlier this year but he did have an encounter about two months ago and that he was going to get tested this month. I think I may have some symptoms of exposure. I have been having fevers, and an on and off again sore throat, and slight headache and just this morning I noticed a small white spot on my lower gumbs in my mouth. I am freaking out!

The thing that got me is that I have not heard from this guy since our last encounter two and a half weeks ago. I have known him for at least four months.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex (both giving and receiving) carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. And I do mean extremely low.

The statistics we use for UNPROTECTED oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status. Like zero since a condom was used.

I'd imagine that "frothy fluid" you saw in the condom after you gave him oral sex was not your saliva but rather his pre-ejaculate or semen.

If you remain concerned over this incredibly small risk, get tested at the 3 month mark.

Gail

An_254016 replied to georgiagail's response:
I am sorry, its just that I have been celibate for ten years and I think I just went kind of "crazy' With this guy and now he wont call and he has since changed his number. I took a hiv test three weeks after our encounter and it came back negative. I am planning to go back at the three month mark of my second encounter. Thank you for answering my questions. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions and for this web MD community.

I have yet another question, what about other STDs? Can other STD be transmitted from oral sex? I am going to my gyno tomorrow because I have been having an itching and burning sensation in my vagina. After my first encounter with this guy I went to my gynocologist and i came up positve for bacteria in my vagina. I took medicine for that but now I am still havign a burnign and itchign and frequent urination, a slgiht fever, a slight sore throat and slight headache and it seems, (and this seems crazy to me and it might sound crazy), that skin is comming off of my vagina as I wipe. I really think that this guy gave me something and he is hiding from me because he is guilty.

I did test for all other stds and they cam back negative (three weeks after my encounter with this guy).

georgiagail replied to An_254016's response:
Perhaps your vaginal itching and burning are symptoms of a yeast infection.

This is not due to any STD but rather the fact that both bacteria and yeast normally reside in the vagina in relatively small amounts. The presence of one tends to keep the others growth in check. When you took medicine (i.e., an antibiotic) it reduced the number of bacteria which allowed the yeast to increase...with the end result being a yeast infection.

Gail

An_254016 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so much Gail for taking the time to answer my questions especially when you have heard and answered it time and time again. I really appreciate you, this community thread and WEB MD. I am going to go to the doctor a little less confused and with a little less fear.

Once again Thank you. I have learned my lesson.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.